Orange SC100H -> speaker out -> Torpedo Cab = weak sound?

EWJM

Hi, my apologies if this has been covered before, I couldn't find anything using the search function..

I got an Orange Super Crush 100 head (solid state). When I connect it out of its Effects Send jack to my Torpedo Cab M+ (switch on '0 dB'), it all sounds great. However, when I go out of the Speaker Out jack from the Super Crush to the Torpedo Cab (switch on '-24dB'), using a speaker cable, the sound is suddenly really weak and thin sounding, and it's also clipping a little bit.

I tried changing settings, I tried different cables and all that stuff, nothing made a difference.

The weird thing is that if I go from the Speaker Out of my Koch Jupiter combo (solid state poweramp, tube preamp), in the exact same situation, it all sounds great again.

Also, when I hook up a speaker cabinet to the amp, using the same Speaker Out jack, the sound is also as it should be.
Albeit, here at home, I can only test that on low volume.
So, the problem doesn't seem to be in the amp?

So, does anyone know what could be the problem here, going from the Speaker Out from the amp to the Torpedo Cab?
Could it be that some amps just don't work well together with the Torpedo Cab?
Or is it user error, and is there something I missed?

Hello @EWJM,

When you connect the speaker output of your Orange Crush to the input of the C.A. BM+, do you connect your cabinet to the SPEAKER OUT of the C.A.B M+ ? The owner's manual does not specify that it is possible to use this amp without a load box (even if it is a solid state amp). I would lilke to know if this improves the tone you have through the C.A.B. M+ with the cabinet connected to its output.

Hello @EWJM,

When you connect the speaker output of your Orange Crush to the input of the C.A. BM+, do you connect your cabinet to the SPEAKER OUT of the C.A.B M+ ? The owner's manual does not specify that it is possible to use this amp without a load box (even if it is a solid state amp). I would lilke to know if this improves the tone you have through the C.A.B. M+ with the cabinet connected to its output.

Hi Dilan,

Thank you for your reply, it seems you have indeed found the problem. :)
When I connected everything like you asked, it now suddenly sounds great from the headphones, from the Speaker Out of the amp. Although there is no sound coming from the speaker cabinet?
And when I disconnect the speaker (Speaker Out on Torpedo Cab to speaker cabinet), the sound immediately goes back again to that weak clipping sound.

So I guess the amp does indeed need a load box? At least when using it with something like a Torpedo Cab. I was mistaken in assuming it wouldn't need a load box. The amp might not blow up, but apparantly it does something bad to the signal coming from the amp..

Thank you for your help!

Hi @EWJM

Ross from Two notes here.

Thanks for letting us know! As ever, if there is anything you would like to discuss further, please dont hesitate to reach out!

Back