Ordering a JB with less output from Duncan Custom Shop

gruggmanny

Banned
Been thinking about this possibility. Don't really like output of JB but that upper midrange honk just sounds so cool and I can't let it go.

I wonder if they could keep that mid honk while creating a pickup with let's say around 12 DC resistance? This would allow more dynamics and harmonics to pop out and I think the pickup would also sound more open and clear.

Anyone got any experience with ordering from Duncan Custom Shop?

If your an LP player why not try hearing the gibson 498T ? Its 12.2kDC with alnico V .... it sounds so much less clinical, more natural and open vs a stock JB.... recently got one but intend to put in a unoriented alnico V mag.... heard it has more vintage vibe and more warm and abit less mids accentuated highs, probably not as thick and aggressive but smoother?

I'm sure if you explain generally what you'd like, they'd be able to help.

FWIW, if you're liking a sort of narrow-Q mid-hump around 600 Hz, that to me describes a lot of Dimarzio pickups.

If your an LP player why not try hearing the gibson 498T ? Its 12.2kDC with alnico V .... it sounds so much less clinical, more natural and open vs a stock JB.... recently got one but intend to put in a unoriented alnico V mag.... heard it has more vintage vibe and more warm and abit less mids accentuated highs, probably not as thick and aggressive but smoother?
But I wanna keep the mids of the JB. And I have a superstrat not LP.

I'm sure if you explain generally what you'd like, they'd be able to help.

FWIW, if you're liking a sort of narrow-Q mid-hump around 600 Hz, that to me describes a lot of Dimarzio pickups.
Someone here mentioned that Dimarzio's 36th Anniversary has that mid honk too.

That was probably me.

I have LPs with 57s, Seth Lovers, and the 36th. All have a "quack" to some degree, but it's like:
36th>>Seth Lovers>57s

Have a Duncan 59 also. That has zero quack.
Didn't you also mention that you actually put the neck version of the 36th in the bridge? I happen to have a neck version of the 36th so maybe I should try that one?

Didn't you also mention that you actually put the neck version of the 36th in the bridge? I happen to have a neck version of the 36th so maybe I should try that one?
Yeah. I can try make some quick clips of the DP103 in the bridge position if that interests you. I usually use a Marshall 2204 and SD-1 into a Marshall 1960AV. But I also have a 6505+ and a 1960 with G12-M greenbacks and could make clips with whatever combination of that seems most helpful.

Probably would be iPhone clips. I have real mics and an interface somewhere in a closet but haven't seen them since a move.

Yeah. I can try make some quick clips of the DP103 in the bridge position if that interests you. I usually use a Marshall 2204 and SD-1 into a Marshall 1960AV. But I also have a 6505+ and a 1960 with G12-M greenbacks and could make clips with whatever combination of that seems most helpful.

Probably would be iPhone clips. I have real mics and an interface somewhere in a closet but haven't seen them since a move.
If you could that would be nice. How dynamic are the Dimarzios if you compare them to other PAFs like BKP, Fralin, Lollar etc?

I have a Duncan Custom Shop Frankenstein that I put a degaussed A5 in. It sounds exactly like you described. I recommend trying A3 or a degaussed A5 in your JB first.

Back