Ordering a JB with less output from Duncan Custom Shop

But if you love that midrange honk, you can kinda get there with any pickup if you tinker with a PEQ. Set a fairly narrow Q boost around 600hz and adjust from there.

If you boost too narrow, it sounds like you forgot to turn a wah pedal off. If you boost too wide, it doesn't have that honky/quacky/snarling character. So it just depends on the rest of the rig.

Been thinking about this possibility. Don't really like output of JB but that upper midrange honk just sounds so cool and I can't let it go.

I wonder if they could keep that mid honk while creating a pickup with let's say around 12 DC resistance? This would allow more dynamics and harmonics to pop out and I think the pickup would also sound more open and clear.
DC Output is irrelevant to what you're talking about.

The resonant peak is the issue.

No i was being Sarcastic with you.....For Humor.
me too!

thats-the-joke-ranier-wolfcastle.gif

Scottosan gave me an education on this a while back, DC resistance isn't the be all end all of pickup output

Also, with so many options are far as EQ, boosting, ODs

As far as pushing/not pushing the input of an amp, it's way more important that the pickup you choose reacts the way you want it to - the gain/output level can be messed with by anything from raising and lowering the pickup to using a tube screamer to get the JB honk

Scottosan gave me an education on this a while back, DC resistance isn't the be all end all of pickup output

Also, with so many options are far as EQ, boosting, ODs

As far as pushing/not pushing the input of an amp, it's way more important that the pickup you choose reacts the way you want it to - the gain/output level can be messed with by anything from raising and lowering the pickup to using a tube screamer to get the JB honk
"JB Honk" is my middle name.

giphy.gif

My experience with just lowering a pickup It tends to sound weak and lifeless versus having it up a little bit higher to the strings, but it’s possible it could work OP just needs to try it. To answer the OPs question about the Duncan custom shop , I used to order from them years ago and they would wind you any pickup you describe to them . Not sure what their customer service is like these days.

My experience with just lowering a pickup It tends to sound weak and lifeless versus having it up a little bit higher to the strings, but it’s possible it could work OP just needs to try it. To answer the OPs question about the Duncan custom shop , I used to order from them years ago and they would wind you any pickup you describe to them . Not sure what their customer service is like these days.
I had them wind me a pair of P-90s that come in at 11.2kΩ

I would simply try it first; vs going all out to the custom shop. Worth a try anyway.

Another option in the JB camp from SD would be the Antiquity JB. SD description says "...that familiar JB upper midrange is all there, but the overall tonal character feels smoother." Same output though, just tempered by the aging process it seems.

Dumped the Warren DiMartini in my Snake Custom shop for a 78.
Lower output and still retains an Eddie type growl.

I found myself adjusting and lowering the Ratt pickup to the point is sounded weak.
Had to roll off the guitars volume a few clicks and still had this tone I was not happy with.

Back