Overdrives - School me

BIGKAHUNA

Of the boost/od pedals I've tried the only one that I really get along with is an FJA Mods pedal I got way back in the day. I want a pedal that simply takes what the amp is doing and enhances it without changing the tone if that make sense. Like intensifies the amps tone. Would that be considered a clean boost? What pedals out there do that well?

Of the boost/od pedals I've tried the only one that I really get along with is an FJA Mods pedal I got way back in the day. I want a pedal that simply takes what the amp is doing and enhances it without changing the tone if that make sense. Like intensifies the amps tone. Would that be considered a clean boost? What pedals out there do that well?
Klon clones ...... unless you can afford a real one .....

I love the lehle volume. Very clean booost. If you dont use it, best volume pedal on market

It's going to depend on what tones you like and what your needs are. I'm a Keeley fanatic so my favorites are the Keeley D&M and Super Rodent but I also have an awesome pedal Wayne, from Griffin Analog and here on the forum, made me based on an SD-1 that kicks ass. Those pedals tighten up and take a slight amount of low end but not much.

From what the OP describes, it sounds like a “transparent” OD may be fit the bill. I have used a Walrus Audio Messner that does this well. There are many of these I’ve not tried, Wampler Belle, I believe the Timmy is supposed to be transparent, many others. Quick google Search turns up many.

As described above, setting gain to zero or extremely low can get a similar effect on klon and TS styles too.

I think technically yes it would be a clean boost.

But in my humble opinion, I've tried the clean boost for the exact reason you want one.

Definitely try one, it may be your think that MK.213 or whatever it is was very decent BUT for me a good OD that works for whatever amp I have sounds better than a clean boost. It does color the tone but barely, gives it just the right boost of saturation/frequency change.

Also another option (which im doing before I buy another OD) is to put an EQ in the loop if you have one.

Any pedal will color the sound to some extent. Some for the better, some for the worse

Klon type pedals work so well for many guys because with most amps it colors (and intensifies imo) in the right places and keeps the sound the same in the right places. Here and there are still some amps where it’s not an ideal fit with though

For more modern or lower tuned styles of metal a TC Integrated Pre (or similar) can be similarly effective to a Klon for the same reasons this time by adding some clank and attack that benefit that style while keeping other parts of the sound in tact

People say the blue note pro isn't transparent but I would say it's pretty close. No pedal is actually transparent except the ones that aren't in your chain. I use it as a light boost all the time and since it is low gain, and has a wide range of adjustment within that range, it works pretty good.

Back