Panel Mounted Jacks and Ground Loop hum

tom_h

Hey guys, I am hoping someone knowledgeable can help me here:

Using a 1-space panel with Neutrik D-series jacks, I am trying to run from my rack, out to the input of my head. Then run the FX send back into the rack, and from the rack back into the FX return. I am getting a nasty ground hum only when using the panel mounted jacks. If take the FX loop jacks off of the panel and plug into them, or run cables directly into and out of the loop switcher in the rack, the hum goes away.

IMG_7842-1.jpg

Is there some sort of rubber washer or gasket I can use to isolate the jacks from the panel? Or do I need to use 2 separate panels? Would that even work if they are next to each other in the rack?

Thanks for any help on this.

On the side of the panel mount jack housing there should be a little screw with a red sleeve/washer. I believe that removing that screw isolates the housing from the jack itself.

jet66":3onaw8nl said:
On the side of the panel mount jack housing there should be a little screw with a red sleeve/washer. I believe that removing that screw isolates the housing from the jack itself.

Thanks. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Ancient Alien":3onaw8nl said:
Yes.
You can get a product called HumFrees
Or you can just go to Home depot and get regular plastic washers.
The benefit of the Humfrees is that they also provide isolation on the screw going into the rack ears along with separation from unit to unit.
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... D=26046368

The problem isn't isolating the panel from the rack. It's isolating the jacks from each other on the panel itself. There is signal flowing 3 times both to and from the amp, all from the same panel. The humfrees work by isolating each rack unit from another within a rack. My problem is isolating jacks from each other on the same rack panel.

I'm going to try Jet's suggestion tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I'll try to find some tiny washers to use to mount the jacks to the panel.

Thanks guys. If anyone else has a suggestion, I'm still listening. Thanks again.

tom_h":2yovssoz said:
jet66":2yovssoz said:

Thanks. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Ancient Alien":2yovssoz said:
Yes.
You can get a product called HumFrees
Or you can just go to Home depot and get regular plastic washers.
The benefit of the Humfrees is that they also provide isolation on the screw going into the rack ears along with separation from unit to unit.
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... D=26046368

The problem isn't isolating the panel from the rack. It's isolating the jacks from each other on the panel itself. There is signal flowing 3 times both to and from the amp, all from the same panel. The humfrees work by isolating each rack unit from another within a rack. My problem is isolating jacks from each other on the same rack panel.

I'm going to try Jet's suggestion tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I'll try to find some tiny washers to use to mount the jacks to the panel.

Thanks guys. If anyone else has a suggestion, I'm still listening. Thanks again.

Sorry, misinterpreted the problem.
What he said. :thumbsup:

Back