PANTERA - Full Concert Live @ Hell & Heaven Metal Fest, Mexico, DEC 2, 2022

I like it! The brothers may be smiling down, I hope so. It's a tribute, one that I thought would never happen, Zakk is spot on, or, I say, fucking the best next to Dimebag to be able to pull this off. For a shit video at least you can hear Zakk pretty good.

I like it! The brothers may be smiling down, I hope so. It's a tribute, one that I thought would never happen, Zakk is spot on, or, I say, fucking the best next to Dimebag to be able to pull this off. For a shit video at least you can hear Zakk pretty good.

I don't think I watched the same footage as you...Zakk is terrible on just about all the leads. For sure he fights the low tuning but his timing is terrible and he clearly should have spent more time learning the important parts of the solos and then just pentatonically " massaging " the rest with sqealies.

Last edited:
i still havent watched, ive seen plenty of my friends though who had plans to go say they are not now for the reasons Kapo just said.

Very surprised that of all the things going on here, that Zakk seems like the weakest link. I assume he'll improve as they go.

To me, Dime stuff is really hard to play. It's not that getting the notes right is all that difficult (though the guy could definitely shred); but there's swing or something to Dime's timing that if you can't figure it out and lock in, it just is all wrong.

Very surprised that of all the things going on here, that Zakk seems like the weakest link. I assume he'll improve as they go.

To me, Dime stuff is really hard to play. It's not that getting the notes right is all that difficult (though the guy could definitely shred); but there's swing or something to Dime's timing that if you can't figure it out and lock in, it just is all wrong.
Bingo....

I think you hit it on the head....I agree.... Dime had a swing where he would go in and out of the pocket with Vinnie much like Ed was tight with Alex swinging in and out of the pocket of the beats.

Yeah.... Zakk isn't hittin all the notes... and honestly I didn't expect him to. At least there isn't another guitar player covering his ass as a rythym player in the background so I gotta give him props for that, it's all Zakk. You guys have to remember when Zakk and Dime were at their zenith they were in the 20's early 30's. Dime was 38 when he died. Zakk's 55 now....chances are he isn't going to play like he did in his 20's and 30's.

I think it's a respectable performance, it is recognizable as Pantera with Zakk playing guitar and Rex and Charlie holding it all down. I also have to say surprisingly Phil sounded really good, probably better then back in the day when he was on smack most of the time.

I have seen Pantera on the Reinventing the Steel Tour and it wasn't a great sounding show. By that time things were falling apart in the band but it still was Pantera.

You wanted to hear DIme's shreds again I get it... but that was never going to be the case with this Tribute show. At least Zakk's being honest and playing Dime the best he can...I can't fault the guy for that.:dunno::yes:

Bingo....

I think you hit it on the head....I agree.... Dime had a swing where he would go in and out of the pocket with Vinnie much like Ed was tight with Alex swinging in and out of the pocket of the beats.

Yeah.... Zakk isn't hittin all the notes... and honestly I didn't expect him to. At least there isn't another guitar player covering his ass as a rythym player in the background so I gotta give him props for that, it's all Zakk. You guys have to remember when Zakk and Dime were at their zenith they were in the 20's early 30's. Dime was 38 when he died. Zakk's 55 now....chances are he isn't going to play like he did in his 20's and 30's.

I think it's a respectable performance, it is recognizable as Pantera with Zakk playing guitar and Rex and Charlie holding it all down. I also have to say surprisingly Phil sounded really good, probably better then back in the day when he was on smack most of the time.

I have seen Pantera on the Reinventing the Steel Tour and it wasn't a great sounding show. By that time things were falling apart in the band but it still was Pantera.

You wanted to hear DIme's shreds again I get it... but that was never going to be the case with this Tribute show. At least Zakk's being honest and playing Dime the best he can...I can't fault the guy for that.:dunno::yes:

But that's the thing.. he isn't playing him as best he can. He didn't bother trying to do that. Stop giving this guy a pass. He was able to put his spin on Randy and Jake and it worked ( younger Zakk anyway pre over squealy Zakk and vibe pedal). Yes Dime had swing and groove but those notes are not that hard to figure out and Dime had patterns that he went back to a lot as well. Some very key parts are totally being blown over and Zakk isn't even trying to play to the queues of the drums or the sections in the song. He is learning the rythms but just has not been bothered to learn the leads that well. It's a cop out and total bullshit that he can't technically play any closer. He's lazy and there just to rep his buddy and the tour but without really giving a shit. For example, Ola. He's a Dime fan. He doesn't have the swing or hang the big bends but he puts his spin on it while keeping the basic shape of the solo. Zakk can technically play these shapes and get closer if he wants. He just can't be arsed while he spits all over and cranks out harmonics and super fast horribly timed pentatonics. It's crazy that I used to love Zakk. I thought he played with fire and could write amazing solos that fit the song. But all that booze must have driven the creativity right out of him.

I think Zakk will figure it out. I'm sure his main goal was getting the songs down and the solo, while it stands out the most, is a small percentage of the actual song. He had Walk down well enough. I'm sure he'll get most of them to that point as the tour goes on. They might even be playing 5 less songs once they're with Metallica.

But that's the thing.. he isn't playing him as best he can. He didn't bother trying to do that. Stop giving this guy a pass. He was able to put his spin on Randy and Jake and it worked ( younger Zakk anyway pre over squealy Zakk and vibe pedal). Yes Dime had swing and groove but those notes are not that hard to figure out and Dime had patterns that he went back to a lot as well. Some very key parts are totally being blown over and Zakk isn't even trying to play to the queues of the drums or the sections in the song. He is learning the rythms but just has not been bothered to learn the leads that well. It's a cop out and total bullshit that he can't technically play any closer. He's lazy and there just to rep his buddy and the tour but without really giving a shit. For example, Ola. He's a Dime fan. He doesn't have the swing or hang the big bends but he puts his spin on it while keeping the basic shape of the solo. Zakk can technically play these shapes and get closer if he wants. He just can't be arsed while he spits all over and cranks out harmonics and super fast horribly timed pentatonics. It's crazy that I used to love Zakk. I thought he played with fire and could write amazing solos that fit the song. But all that booze must have driven the creativity right out of him.

The dude had all of a week off between his last tour date and the Pantera rehearsals. I certainly couldn’t do better than that if you gave me a month.

You lost me at Ola. Seriously, you're comparing him to Zack or Dimebag? What a joke!

There are tons of dudes out there who could have played this note for note, I think that’s missing the point a bit. It’s not “recreate Pantera in their prime”, it’s just taking the remaining members along with best friends of the band to go out and have a good time, playing those songs as loud as they should be played.

I’m a huge Pantera fan, one of the only bands I have a tattooed on my body and Dime is one of my biggest influences, I take zero offense to Zakk not nailing everything 100%, he’s got the overall vibe down, the important parts of the solos and fills in some inbetween spots. I think the biggest thing, if Dimebag saw that, would he be bitching about it or shitting on Zakk? Absolutely not.

zakk is there cause hes a name brand dude, thats really it. youre not playing stadiums as Pantera with Johnny from Youtube. ive heard Grady is capable of doing it, shouldnt he have been first in line if this was some kind of real tribute?

Funny how so many people can't see what this is and why the people were chosen to do it ... Get Ola, Get Wes to do it .... um Zakk and Charlie were chosen because they were Dime and Vinnies buddies and it is the band paying tribute to their best friends

You can 100% believe that Dime would want Zakk to be Zakk playing Pantera songs not Zakk trying to be Dime plaing Pantera songs

Funny how so many people can't see what this is and why the people were chosen to do it ... Get Ola, Get Wes to do it .... um Zakk and Charlie were chosen because they were Dime and Vinnies buddies and it is the band paying tribute to their best friends

You can 100% believe that Dime would want Zakk to be Zakk playing Pantera songs not Zakk trying to be Dime plaing Pantera songs

I guess.. but when you go there, you hope to hear small snippets of Dime and those would also be in the solos. IMO of course. It feels like a cash grab. An Anselmo cash grab. I'm sure Zakk and Charlie got sucked into it.

Ok but again.... why are you then jumping on another tour? Was this just planned last week?

You’d have to ask Zakk, but if I were in his shoes and some buds hit me up to go play guitar for them, taking the place of a former good friend, I wouldn’t turn it down either.

When does something stop being a cash grab? By the time they’re done touring this, they’ll have played in front of millions of people who are stoked to see it. It’s like the enjoyment factor (IE- exactly what music is about) doesn’t mean shit to anyone these days as long as they can trash someone for earning a buck.

Back