Pantera Rig Rundown with Rex Brown & Zakk Wylde 2024 Tour

Best line from the whole thing- “Mesa Boogie is the first company to make me a legit Ampeg 8x10” :LOL:

Rex supposedly got sober a while back, but nothing about his demeanor or speech displayed that.

“Tell us about the effects you’re using here”
“It’s all about the attack. You hear that? That’s all there is. We’re having a great time out here. That’s all there is. That attack, hear it?”

Even after they spoke to his tech on the side, I have no fucking clue what that RJM switcher was for or what effects it was controlling, unless it’s turning shit on/off in the Taurus.

Barely skipped over the video but I think they said zakk was using what dime used for cleans a roland jc 120. Dime never used those for cleans afaik. Dime used mesa boogie mark 1 for his clean tones.

I don't even need to watch to know Zakk is using his sig SD-1 clone Wylde overdrive into a JCM800 or his sig JCM800 clones with 6550 into an ugly ass guitar with EMG's. Zakk probably mentioned "St. Rhoads" or " King Ed" or " Emperor Dime".

How did I do?
You missed his Settings. I tried 'em. Sounds great.

I don't even need to watch to know Zakk is using his sig SD-1 clone Wylde overdrive into a JCM800 or his sig JCM800 clones with 6550 into an ugly ass guitar with EMG's. Zakk probably mentioned "St. Rhoads" or " King Ed" or " Emperor Dime".

How did I do?
A Boss SD-1 into a 2203 Marshall isn't near enough gain to match Dime running a MXR 6band into the Furman PQ3/4 then into the amp but if it gets close enough for Zakk then more power to him at least his is doing it his way.....gotta give him Kudos for that. Even the stock Randall RG100ES has more gain than a stock JCM800 if just go by the circuit's schematic . I've had three RG100ES over the years and all of them had more gain than my stock 2203.

Last edited:
A Boss SD-1 into a 2203 Marshall isn't near enough gain to match Dime running a MXR 6band into the Furman PQ3/4 then into the amp but if it gets close enough for Zakk then more power to him at least his is doing it his way.....gotta give him Kudos for that. Even the stock Randall RG100ES has more gain than a stock JCM800 if just go by the circuit's schematic . I've had three RG100ES over the years and all of them had more gain than my stock 2203.
SD-1 set to fry with an 800 and active EMG's is easily enough gain. Maybe I will go watch so I can see Zakk say the same thing he always does.

How did I do?
Good but add Cunt Sharon to make it a proper list

I hated Rex's Pop Rock record, personally.
i think its been scrubbed from the net, but anyone remember the first gig that his solo band did?
it was in some club in Germany i think, and like 30 seconds into the first song, they all stopped and rex started bitching at the sound guy. The other members also chimed in "yeah i can't hear myself at all" "it sounds nothing like it did at soundcheck", etc

It was like watching a bad local bands first gig. Yeah i don't know how sober "sober" is in Rex's world. the damage has already been done.

you mean its not a carefully crafted axe fx patch, based on all of dimes classic gear, into a stack of matrix power amps?!

Back