Parametric EQ

stephen sawall

FB_IMG_1552405999763.jpg

I have a MXR M108S GEQ I like a lot. But thinking about a parametric EQ.
What do you recommend ???

I have the Empress….doesnt sound that great honestly. Has incredible reviews. Maybe mine isn’t working right. Just a bit harsh.
The ParaEq MKII Deluxe looks about perfect. I have not tried it. I did try the older model that gave everything kind of a polished sound. I like a more raw sound. My experience was very limited so not a real evaluation.

Honestly, for the guitar I haven't found anything better than the M108S for real time playing. When it comes to recording, there are so many in-the-box EQs my DAW can reach for, I don't think I'd ever need a hardware version to get to where my tone needs to go. YMMV, but ya, that M108S is a dandy box for getting the right tone straight outta the source IMHO.

Honestly, for the guitar I haven't found anything better than the M108S for real time playing. When it comes to recording, there are so many in-the-box EQs my DAW can reach for, I don't think I'd ever need a hardware version to get to where my tone needs to go. YMMV, but ya, that M108S is a dandy box for getting the right tone straight outta the source IMHO.
I won't be replacing the MXR M108S.
It is perfect at what it does.

I just put a wampler equator in the loop. I really like it so far although I’m still a little confused how it all works

But I’ve found a sweet spot that for me helps take some congestion out of a 4x12. I think it sounds similar to having mic near the center.

Ibanez is releasing this

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PTEQ--ibanez-pteq-penatone-5-band-parametric-eq-pedal

Looks cool since it’s 5 bands but the overall volume boost is only 6db which seems a little weak. Very nice price though.

If you want something great but a little pricey, shoot for the Master Effects EQ4H pro (Furman PQ4 clone) pedal. Over 100db of possible boost! LOL!!

https://www.mastereffectspedals.com/eq4h
The Ibanez looks interesting.

I don't usually need a lot of range. Slight boost and cuts.

Reactions: rsm
I always heard good things about the Empress Para eq, came across a used one and picked it up. I could not get it to sound anywhere near as good as my other graphic eq's. I was only trying to use it in front to push the mids a little before my OD pedals, so nothing drastic, but it always sounded better to me when I turned it off no matter how I adjusted. So it's sitting on a shelf.

I have an empress eq and compressor. The compressor is a must have pedal for me. I really enjoy the eq but I believe it’s a love it or hate it thing. I keep it in the loop and just do slight touch ups. Nothing drastic. That Ibanez looks cool

If that damn Furman wasn't sooo noisy, I would have kept it. Great mid grind.
That’s the problem with most of these rack PQ’s. This earlier greenback/silver knob Furman has even a bit better mid grind over the 2 later ones I had before

My vintage Ibanez PQ-401 can achieve a similar-ish midrange thing although way less gain and saturation, but no noise issue. It’s an awesome pedal (up there for me) and can be found sometimes under $200

Wonder why they get such high praise?
Some guys I’m guessing just don’t hear that super clinical/cold sound it has or don’t mind it maybe? It can do a lot of different sounds and approximations of other boosts minus that ugly quality it has, so I can understand some of the appeal. Functionally it’s great, but tonally not so much

Back