Peavey 5150... Ok did I miss something ?

Right when Eddie passed, a bunch of these guys put all their EVH gear on sale at 3x the price hoping people would go crazy over it. Sad.

With the magnitude of Ed dying people are trying to profit monetarily. Maybe its because those are block letter heads. James Brown has already explained why the block letter 5150 may have sounded better. Has nothing to do with the circuit but with the Sylvania 6L6 power tubes that had come with the block letter heads. So unless the amps are all original with those tubes you are not getting the mystical magical 5150. LOL. Even so...IMO those prices are excessive for any Peavey 5150.

A lot of the used prices right now are not realistic at all and not indicative of what the amps are actually selling for

People are losing their mind right now over the EVH gear. I sold my Signature head in November for over $1500. Can't blame these guys for wanting to cash in if someone is willing to pay it. Doesn't make sense to blame the sellers for the price hikes, y'all should be mad at the people buying them for these prices for driving the values up. Even the old Peavey guitars that you could buy for like $800 are in the $2k+ range now, same with the cheaper MIM/MIJ EVH Wolfgangs. I've even seen OLPs that you could buy all day long for $200 now selling for close to $1000... People are crazy.

It is insane right now, I put my new condition 1991 5150 block logo up for a WTT on here and I had a purchase offer of $1800. Do I think it’s worth that? Absolutely not!
but obviously it is…
I agree, the prices are laughable, but they are also reality...👍
Anything unobtainable will increase in value most often.
Years ago, I bought every single new Sylvania 6CA7 and every GEC KT66 I could find. I’m glad I did😉
A decade ago my brother told me to buy gold, I told him he was crazy, that there was no way it could go up anymore…
It’s now $1850 an ounce.
And he’s still telling me to buy gold…
10 years from now, $3000 per ounce?

Last edited:
The laughable part is that ALL the 5150's and 6505's are EXACTLY the same, as long as the 6505 is a "made in USA" model.
I had a block letter 5150 and a mid 2000's 6505 on my bench at the same time, and did comparison clips using the same tubes in both amps, biased at the same mA, and the ONLY difference I could identify was a slightly different taper on the mid pots.
To dial them in EXACTLY the same, I had to have the mid pot on the 6505 about half a position higher. ( ie: 4 on the BL, 4.5 on the 6505 ) and it was impossible to tell them apart.

It is insane right now, I put my new condition 1991 5150 block logo up for a WTT on here and I had a purchase offer of $1800. Do I think it’s worth that? Absolutely not!
but obviously it is…
I agree, the prices are laughable, but they are also reality...👍
Anything unobtainable will increase in value most often, years ago, I bought every single new Sylvania 6CA7 and every GEC KT66 I could find in the ‘80’s and ‘90’s. I’m glad I did😉
A decade ago my brother told me to buy gold, I told him he was crazy, that there was no way it could go up anymore…
It’s now $1850 an ounce.
And he’s still telling me to buy gold…
10 years from now, $3000 per ounce?

Can't argue with ya...the value of anything is what buyers are willing to pay.

Like everyone else said - folks are cashing in on his passing. Same thing is happening with the Alexi Laiho signature guitars (obviously to a lesser degree though). Also - factor in that gear in general is up right now - stores have less in stock and prices are pretty high.

Echoing Fret-Shredder’s recommendation for Facebook market place and adding in local buy/sell/trade groups - there are definitely some people trying to drag everyone over the coals there but there definitely are folks still pricing things reasonably on there

Why is anyone willing to pay more now for a long ago discontinued amp? They are no rarer just because of Ed's passing. I don't get this. And what's with the EBMM EVHs? The last one of those was made over 25 yrs ago. Did a bunch of them happen to go up in a warehouse fire around the same time Ed passed?

Dislike the profit from death mentality. Especially since it's a very recent event and someone such as Ed.

I will say, for metal these are some of the best amps in history. While they arent super botique or very refined or anything new or interesting they just work and never sound bad.

For the average used price of $600 (disregarding the temporary attempts of inflation) they're really hard to beat.

Id probably try a Laney however if I was in the market for this range of an amp just because I've already owned a few Peaveys.

There are three things at play here, and all are basic economics. There is supply and demand, like normal, and then there is inflation. It's important to remember first that a private bank controls our currency, so prices follow the inflation just like gold an oil. The price of everything is going to go up continuously until we stop printing more money.

Now, if you look at supply and demand, it all makes sense. The supply is fixed, in that Peavey is not making any more 5150s. Peavey is a joke these days, as the build quality of the 6505 is not on par with the 5150. The demand increased with Eddie's passing, and the nostalgia for those amps. They sound great. Fixed supply, increased demand, and inflation all mean these amps are worth more than they were 20 years ago.

I considered selling my 5150 in this storm, because I could easily double my investment. The reason I haven't is because I love it and want to keep it, meaning it's worth that to me. Really, the price is right.

Back