Peavey 5150 vs EVH Iconic

Bummer. My Iconic failed today. Low volume so I put new tubes in. Turned it on then loud hum for a second then nothing. At least one internal fuse blew. Off to the tech tomorrow;(.
I love 5150s but I’ve never had the amount of issues with any other amps, that I’ve had with them. Peavey, and EVH line both.

I was super impressed with the Iconic. I currently do not own a high gain head, and I am strongly considering buying one for the price and tone. I have just been lingering around waiting for someone to reveal some bad aspect of it but it's not happening

I currently own quite a few high gain heads; Diezel, Orange, Peavey and Egnater among them and I’m still going back and forth between this and a SYN1 and a IICP/Uberschall module.

Sort of been doing the same but I haven’t really heard anything bad.

I had the 5153 6L6 when they first came out and coming from the OG 5150 that thing did not impress me; felt too tamed.

Anyone know if this is like that? I loved how raw the OG felt, does this capture that in any way?

Bummer. My Iconic failed today. Low volume so I put new tubes in. Turned it on then loud hum for a second then nothing. At least one internal fuse blew. Off to the tech tomorrow;(.
Ok, some interesting results about my failure:

- The final loss of sound after I swapped tubes was due to a blown fuse (the tech thinks my speaker cable disconnected at the time)
- The original volume issue was probably due to a blown heater resistor the tech found. He said the two heater resistors were mounted on the bottom of the PCB (not good for thermal). He replaced them to the top of the PCB under warranty.

All is good now!

Still loving my 40w Iconic! So versatile and sounds fucking huge for a 1×12 combo. As I've said before, this amp lends itself more to the early Eddie Marshall tones than the later 5150's IMO. But still does some crushing metal if you want. I'd love a 15-20w head version to run through my 2×12.

I currently own quite a few high gain heads; Diezel, Orange, Peavey and Egnater among them and I’m still going back and forth between this and a SYN1 and a IICP/Uberschall module.

Sort of been doing the same but I haven’t really heard anything bad.

I had the 5153 6L6 when they first came out and coming from the OG 5150 that thing did not impress me; felt too tamed.

Anyone know if this is like that? I loved how raw the OG felt, does this capture that in any way?
I've owned every version of the 5150 and 5150 II...Both Peavey and EVH. There is something really nasty in both the low mids and presence of the original Peavey Block Letter 5150 that none of the other have captured. It's the thickest sounding version and It has this raw "ripping" feel to it that's pretty special. I tried the Iconic, and was generally impressed. But it's pretty bright overall and does not have the quality I described in the original Block Letter.

I was super impressed with the Iconic. I currently do not own a high gain head, and I am strongly considering buying one for the price and tone. I have just been lingering around waiting for someone to reveal some bad aspect of it but it's not happening
I’m very interested in trying iconic

Still loving my 40w Iconic! So versatile and sounds fucking huge for a 1×12 combo. As I've said before, this amp lends itself more to the early Eddie Marshall tones than the later 5150's IMO. But still does some crushing metal if you want. I'd love a 15-20w head version to run through my 2×12.
I thought it was great, too. But really wanted to hear it though a proper 4x12.

Has anyone tried putting an eq in the loop to fill out the mids? That's the most obvious thing when it's compared to the other 5150 variants is that it sounds thinner and farther away.​

Has anyone tried putting an eq in the loop to fill out the mids? That's the most obvious thing when it's compared to the other 5150 variants is that it sounds thinner and farther away.​

Yes, I tried that. Just with a tiny bump on eq in mids it significantly changed the sound to better one, IMHO.

The designer said to use channel 2 with burn on to get close to the traditional 5150 tone.

Back