Peavey 6505 1992 original

BesaMoogie

Was this discussed before? It looks like Peavey went down it`s own rabbit hole with the 5150/6505 line to bring out a model as close as possibly to the very first ones.

The secret to the 6505 1992 Original's period-correct tonality, however, is its custom-designed output transformer. After countless hours of A/B comparisons, conversations with users and artists, and deep dives into the amplifier at a component level, Peavey engineers formulated the perfect design; one that's able to accurately re-create the magical, crushing sound that, to quote Guitar Player magazine, "defined a generation of guitar tone."
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...aKzxnyr39j7JRe5i6SmQbyfy1QNam_Q29Sw25AHhdxeHk
And this:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/6505IIHD--peavey-6505-ii-120w-2-channel-tube-head

Last edited:
I am interested to check them out. I was extremely impressed with the Iconic head. Will be interesting to see how these compare to the OG models.

Last edited:
The block letter 5150 go for this price or more on the used market. At least it may bring the used prices down.
@BesaMoogie weren't the transformers on the Original Block Letter 5150's rivited to the chassis? Sounds like a smart move for Peavey.

Throw a couple of quality improvements, like improved bolted on transformers, and cut costs because now all their stuff is manufactured abroad.

Why not milk the best selling amp they ever produced for everything its got?

@BesaMoogie weren't the transformers on the Original Block Letter 5150's rivited to the chassis? Sounds like a smart move for Peavey.

Throw a couple of quality improvements, like improved bolted on transformers, and cut costs because now all their stuff is manufactured abroad.

Why not milk the best selling amp they ever produced for everything its got?
Not sure about that. They are referring to the tonal differences of the transformers that changed when the supplier did changes in the manufacturing process.
Can`t tell if this is only a marketing move or not. But the prices for the original block letters went up crazy. If they have done it right with this one, it`s going to be a good alternative. You get a new 5150 with warranty for basically the price of a used one or even less and without the headache a 30 years old amp can give you.
Smart move I guess.

Not sure about that. They are referring to the tonal differences of the transformers that changed when the supplier did changes in the manufacturing process.
Can`t tell if this is only a marketing move or not. But the prices for the original block letters went up crazy. If they have done it right with this one, it`s going to be a good alternative. You get a new 5150 with warranty for basically the price of a used one or even less and without the headache a 30 years old amp can give you.
Smart move I guess.
@BesaMoogie the original Block Letters weren’t known for quality manufacturing. Supposedly the early ones had better transformers than the later ones. They also riveted the transformers to the chassis.

It’d be awesome if they improved the wiring on the PCB’s too. They were known to have longterm issues because they couldn’t handle the current being thrown at them.

IIRC they "improved" the transformers by switching them to the ones used in the Invective. It's a cost saving move so all of the 5150-based amps made are now using the same transformers.

$1200 isn't terrible for these. If I'm not mistaken a brand new 5150 head was $1k back in like 2004, and I think they crept up to around the $1200 mark before they were discontinued.

Given that was a USA made amp with a long proven track record at that point, but considering inflation, this doesn't look like a bad deal.

IIRC they "improved" the transformers by switching them to the ones used in the Invective. It's a cost saving move so all of the 5150-based amps made are now using the same transformers.
That’s what I heard as well. The invective transformers are supposedly based on what they thought was the best example/sounding of the 5150/6505 transformers they tested. Could be a great sounding transformer for the head, but no doubt it’s influenced by cost saving.

Saw this from Ola about a month ago. He will probably get one here soon and compare it to his. I think this is BS Peavey marketing as they are jealous ever since Eddie pulled from them. This is a direct response to the Iconic EVH and it will weed out the suckers.

I bought my 5150 signature in 2000 new for $585. Was a killer on sale deal in Minneapolis. Was my first tube amp. Had it modded and then sold it about 6 years later.

Last edited:
I don’t know, I have a 6505 I got used from a dude for $450 before the market went nuts. The new ones would have to sound as good as my old 5150 2x12 combo to pique my interest at all at the price.

I have always kind of scoffed at the reputation Peavey had for ruggedly built amps when they were made in the USA. Maybe it’s just the ridiculously heavy headshells they liked to use.

Their love of using cheap ass ribbon cables has always caused problems. One of the most common issues with these amps is that the connectors on the ribbon cable that carries the heater voltage to the power tubes burns up. It’s always happened no matter where they were made and Peavey never did anything to fix it.

Back