pedal board I'm slowly building- Route it for me!

glassjaw7

Here's what I'm working toward, or something similar. (the phaser should be before the drives)
Made it at http://www.pedalboardplanner.com. I would put the power supply underneath. So I know the general rules are to hit the compressor first, and then wah-->volume (with output to tuner) then phaser-->od's-->dist-->chorus-->delay.
Anyone like chorus before gain?
mediumpedalboard.png

Also, anyone know of any affordable and compact bypass loopers (like the loopmaster in the photo) that don't color the sound?

Thanks bro. I've always heard that the comp should be first in line. I'll experiment a bit. I know you've said it before, but who makes the pedal looper on your board? And do you know of any other good ones that are affordable?

I put the ones first which color the tone the least. Save for last the tone decimators (Tubescreamers, fuzzes, and the like).

glassjaw7":1u01h0on said:
Thanks bro. I've always heard that the comp should be first in line. I'll experiment a bit. I know you've said it before, but who makes the pedal looper on your board? And do you know of any other good ones that are affordable?
My looper/switcher is a WOBO.
For the price, best bang for the buck.

Wahs respond to the dynamics of your signal hitting them. The compressor smooths out that input signal and reduces some of the wah effect.

I've also heard of putting the compressor after the overdrive, but before the distortion pedal when you have both on a board.

Death by Uberschall":107kpqpz said:
Wahs respond to the dynamics of your signal hitting them. The compressor smooths out that input signal and reduces some of the wah effect.

I think you are thinking Auto-Wah. A manual wah simply sweeps the resonant peak, a little compression before the pedal may actually help here.

Copied from the Keeley website:

EFFECT PEDAL ORDER AND PLACEMENT

Q: Is there a specific order my effects should go in?

A: Yes and no. There are some guidelines that can be followed to make sure odd things don't happen. There have been times when a compressor after a delay pedal or reverb unit has caused some bad (good?) effects, there have been brilliant moves to place effects in certain orders that break most rules, but below is a guideline I came up with and was published in Musician's Hotline Magazine. Nice things is it gives you a way, a phrase to memorize so that when you're on the road, you can get it right if you pick up a new effect.
Placing effects in a logical order will help! This list of effects order is just a general guideline. Some of the best and most unique guitar tones have been created by breaking the rules! You guys need a head start at good tone right?! A way to make life easy right?! I came up with a little phrase to help remember the order because even I forget. Ask yourself this when you wonder about effects order or placement: Which Chain Of Effect Pedals Makes Life Easy? All you have to do is remember this phrase and which letter corresponds to which type of effect. Wah -> Which, Compressor -> Chain, Overdrive -> Of, EQ -> Effect, Pitch -> Pedals, Modulation -> Make, Level -> Life, Echo -> Easy. I like to see wah pedals and sometimes even phasers as the first effect after the guitar. We'll call these Wah effects (yes even the phaser). Wah pedals boost a frequency you sweep to with your foot and phasers cut or notch a frequency that is swept to electronically. Distortion pedals make interesting response changes to the boost or cut from these sweep pedals. Compressors typically go next although I like them after distortion pedals in many cases if the compressor is clean and transparent enough. Compression after distortion has two effects that I really like. First, the noise floor is lower because the noise from a compressor isn't being amplified and distorted by the overdrive pedal. Second, there appears to be more sustain. There is one draw back that some people notice and that is a darker, warmer tone. Some folks might prefer a more conventional, brighter tone. Next comes Overdrive or distortion. Equalizer pedals can go next. They are commonly used for a boost pedal if they can be turned on and off, or used to shape the tone of the distortion pedal. Pitch changing pedals, Vibrato for example; go next for the simple reason that many distortion pedals can't handle the many pitches at one time. Try strumming a complex chord with your distortion pedal on, say a C7#9#11. Modulation effects go next such as chorus and flanging go next. Level pedals that control the volume go next in many cases. This would include tremolo, volume pedals (great at this point in the effects chain because it cuts all the hiss going to your amp), noise gates and limiters. Since compression is a limiter in many cases and this is why it works post-distortion by the way. Echo effects go last. These include delay and reverb. A sample effects board might contain these effects: Guitar -> Wah, Compressor, Overdrive, EQ, Vibrato, Chorus, Tremolo, Volume Pedal, and Delay-> Amp.

I think Friedman and Cornish prefer to have the comp first, but I may be wrong. It's been awhile since I read the article.

Also, anyone know of any affordable and compact bypass loopers (like the loopmaster in the photo) that don't color the sound?[/quote]

this1smine over at TGP makes all kinds of stuff like that. Real reasonable. He'll custom make anything you want. He made me a two loop bypass with a built in boost (SHO clone) and a master on/off for under $150. I originally just bought the boost to run in my loop and figured out I needed a looper after I got and used it a couple weeks. He gave me a full refund for the boost and just built one into the looper. It works awesome for me.

Schaf

Death by Uberschall":sy9f3leb said:
Now keep in mind, these are only starting points. Some of the coolest sounds come from messing with the formula. :yes:
Very true. :yes: Tried my wah at the end of the chain once and got some very cool results!

Back