Pete and Dave have done it: The EVH tone vid is must see for ALL!

N

Nigel

Pete gets the VH 1 sound dead ass!

1. String gauge/pure nickel
  2. Marshall: pots, caps, NFB resistor
  3. Tubes: Sylvania 6CA7's
  4. Variac: 89v and biased right
  5. Cab: Blackbacks and JBL D-120's
  6. Guitars: woods/pickups/magnets
  7. FX: Flange, delay, eq, even post-reverb and 1176!
If you haven't seen it, prepare to be blown away! Comments show the enthusiasm.

Only things missing are load box/slaving, and preamp tubes. Not necessary IMHO however because well just see for yourself!

I thought it was an awesome deep dive but I think he forgot to mention no tone pot with the 500k for more bite. Either way it was a an informative video and the JBL/greenback assumption is correct as the recent sunset sound videos show both mics solo'd then combined on each of those speakers. I also agree with Pete on splitting hairs on some of the gear. DSD type for first album and then anything slightly hotter PAF ish for the rest. The tone options were cool on that old Marshall but really any cranked Marshall variac'd or not will probably satisfy the rest of us. EQ for push, who cares. Others may have gotten closer based on their hands and the way they recorded it but I def. appreciate the time and thought they put into the video. Throw the EQ AND the echoplex natural boost on top and there should be enough for the gain. The only cool thing they missed was slaving it through the pre and power amp of another Marshall.

Yeah - this is a good video.

I could not hear much difference when he was demoing the amp switches Friedman put in for the demo (mid pot, fat cap and nfb change) but he said they were subtle. Maybe I would have heard it if he had just strummed a chord and then switched but harder to pick up when playing like that for me anyway. Pete did a great job though and I give him credit.

Last edited:
Yeah - this is a good video.

I could not hear much difference when he was demoing the amp switches Friedman put in for the demo (mid pot, fat cap and nfb change) but he said they were subtle. Maybe I would have heard it if he had just strummed a chord and then switched but harder to pick up when playing like that me. Pete did a great job though and I give him credit.
Most EL34 based amps when cranked sound like a cranked EL34 amp. The preamp becomes far less prominent

Mr. Obeid Khan.
68' Plexi 1987 [50 watt], stock 60's Stratocaster [single coils], a couple pedals.
No variac, no dippy chippy Cameron, no secret sauce, just a good amp, good guitar & good talent.
You can't buy good talent, its created.

Last edited:
Not even close.
JIMI-TRUE-BYPASS.jpg

Close to what ? A $4K Suhr & a BAD Soldano LOL.
I forgot 80's cock rock forums don't do 60's & 70's Rawk.
Thats an excellent sounding Marshall Pete is demoing but there's a big difference between sculpting subtle tone nuances in a state of the art studio and an Iphone clip of a guy playing his heart out in front of people at a show.

Last edited:
I think Pete did a fine job. I don't remember him saying he was going to demonstrate how he has Ed's style and swing down to a tee. He did a great job at accomplishing his goal for the video. Plus, he makes it look easy. A 45 minute video is a ton of work too. Of course there are dudes out there that are closer to Eddie's playing style. Al Estrada comes to mind too. But they are not making 45 minute videos for gear nerds like us. Right?

As a matter of fact, I felt on some parts he actually played cleaner than Ed.

I think Pete did a fine job. I don't remember him saying he was going to demonstrate how he has Ed's style and swing down to a tee. He did a great job at accomplishing his goal for the video. Plus, he makes it look easy. A 45 minute video is a ton of work too. Of course there are dudes out there that are closer to Eddie's playing style. Al Estrada comes to mind too. But they are not making 45 minute videos for gear nerds like us. Right?

I agree, Pete accomplished what he was out to do

Pete is outstanding, im a fan. Not bashing Thorn. He has giving me many tips over the years. Great player, good person. I especially liked the Vai/Jose video.

I guess. Even Michael R/T has it down. Crazy to think Michael is better than Thorn (not slagging Michael...).

Maybe the tone but not the hands I don't think... I was just blasting my recently picked up Bugera 1960 infinium and it's pretty cool, but it ain't putting out that gain w/ a Suhr Aldrich pup. (cascade input is cool though, RR tone when boosted) I know it isn't a real Marshall but it is ballpark and circuit wise it is there. Which leads me to conclude that besides the hands and the kick from the echoplex, the only real truth is that no two vintage Marshalls are the same. He just had a really good sounding one on the first album. Variac must help a bit but it isn't going to all of a sudden change your playing.

Back