Picking up a MOD50 head. What are some "must have" modules?

tallcoolone

I'd love a hot rod Marshall--somewhere in the Friedman/Cameron/Fortin vein. The maybe a MarkIIc+-ish tone? Who does the best standard 1959 plexi? SLO?

Thanks!

Cameron- Salvation Cammerock
general marshall tones- Jaded Faith Grailtone
Sacred Groove MK22 (JMP)
Mark series- Salvation MarkUS

Salvation Camerock for awesome hard rock.

JF 1959RR Custom for all kinds of great Plexi tones, including Slash's AFD tones.

tallcoolone":gb6cp81g said:
I'd love a hot rod Marshall--somewhere in the Friedman/Cameron/Fortin vein. The maybe a MarkIIc+-ish tone? Who does the best standard 1959 plexi? SLO?

Thanks!

In terms of Standard Egnater Modules (the Rossness's suggestions are all modded, either Salvation mods or Jaded Faith:)

Hot rod Marshall - Try the SL2x or the EG3/4 if you want something a bit darker
MarkIIc+-ish - Probably the COD, there is no real exact match to the Mesa amps in the Egnater Modules (for the Mark series I think the MHG also works, more MarkIV / V ish tho)
1959 plexi? - try either of the SL or the SL2 - SL is more 1959/JMP, SL2 is more JCM 800

Bruce's outline of the tones from each is here (http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?p=117308&sid=5fe3fcb58dfe38160f449e08ae37dfba:)

Bassman (Like a 4x10 Bassman. Beautiful, warm clean to approx. JCM800 gain)
VX (Vox AC30)
SL (moderate to fairly hot Marshall=clean to AC/DC)
SL2 (takes over where the SL leaves off. Fairly hot to way high gain Marshall)
SL2X (Tighter and brighter version of the SL2)
T/D (Twin/Deluxe. Really clean Twin on 'A' to pushed Deluxe on 'B')
COD (California-Over-Drive. Our take on the singing, strong midrange Mk11C/Dumble-ish thing)
Erect (Dual Rectifier)
EG3/4 (Channels 3 and 4 from the TOL amps and IE4 preamp from long ago. Smooth, singing with tons of gain)
EG5 (A tighter and brighter version of the EG3/4)
MHG (Modern High Gain) Mid scooped, quite high gain, very aggressive.

For modded check out the following:

Jaded Faith - http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/mts-mods.html
Salvation - http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=modifications

In terms of what I need in my Mod50 - Jaded Faith Texas Special (Fender / Mesa Lonestar) and SL-OD 100 (SLO) - they are great!

Sold empty (no modules), I'd say anything south of $800 is a very good deal. I haven't seen one sell in a while, but I picked mine up in the $900 area.

Just get it. You won't regret. I live in Europe and I paid a lot more for mine so anything in the 1000$ ballpark seems like a good deal to me.

As for modules I've tried: T/D, BMAN, VX, SL2 and Salvation Mods Benzin (single channel modded after Diezel amps - now moved on) and Salvation Mods Vage4 (dual channel Diezel VH4 mod).

I really like the BMAN especially the B channel which has a great crunch tone. The A channel has a lovely thick tone, but unfortunately it doesn't work well with my pedals, at least to my taste. The T/D sounds good as well and the Deluxe channel works like a charm with my pedals. The BMAN is too thick, the Twin is too thin, but the Deluxe is just right. The SL2 is quite versatile and can give you some great light to hard crunch on channel A and on channel B you get good amounts of distortion than can handle a vareity of rock/hard rock. Stick a tubescreamer or the likes in front and it can do some metal as well. I haven't really bonded with the V/X module. To me there's too much of a jump between channel A and channel B. The first one delivers the classic glassy/trebly on the verge of break up tone that Vox is known for and the latter is a thick and chewy overdrive/distortion that can get pretty gainy.

tallcoolone":2picy4fb said:

Thanks!
Friedman actually mods modules, so I'd look at his BE. The HBE module was a bit blurry, but the BE was outstanding
Salvation makes a Camerock that may be the best module out there. I love his stuff, and this one is tops
Fortin- forget it, that's a specific and unque tone that I never found in modules
Jaded Faith has a great take on Marshalls for yuor 1959 plexi tones

Good luck and have fun :rock:

Back