Pickups for a Baritone? TV Jones?

Valtiel

So im putting together a Baritone Strat, HSS pickup layout, and I want to do something a little different, not just drop in a JB and call it a day. Looking generally for that "humbucker with twang" kinda thing, and i'll definitely still use it for heavy stuff. The singles are still up in the air, but I was looking at a TV Jones Powertron or Powertron Plus humbucker for the bridge position. Anyone have any experience with these, or have any other cool ideas? Thanks!

I really like TV Jones pickups in hollowbody and semi-hollows, but I've never had luck with them in solid body guitars. Obviously it's a personal preference thing, but they never punch enough for the heavier stuff and they don't twang enough for the twangy stuff. Again, this is only in solid bodies. They totally rule in other Gretsch style guitars. I've tried them in a number of different guitars, but never in a Baritone.

Another option is the Lindy Fralin Twangmaster pickups. I've had great luck with them in solid bodies that I wanted punch and twang at the same time. You can get an overwound bridge pickup for more beef.

luxxtone":1f6nj22t said:
I really like TV Jones pickups in hollowbody and semi-hollows, but I've never had luck with them in solid body guitars. Obviously it's a personal preference thing, but they never punch enough for the heavier stuff and they don't twang enough for the twangy stuff. Again, this is only in solid bodies. They totally rule in other Gretsch style guitars. I've tried them in a number of different guitars, but never in a Baritone.

Another option is the Lindy Fralin Twangmaster pickups. I've had great luck with them in solid bodies that I wanted punch and twang at the same time. You can get an overwound bridge pickup for more beef.

Interesting, never really thought about the fact that they were obviously designed to be hollow body type guitars to begin with.

Gene, I know you dig these pickups, you got any input?

I have the Powertron and Powertron Plus in my Gretsch Billy Bo. the Gretsch is solid body but it's heavily chambered. I love the way they sound. The neck is thick and creamy without being muddy and the bridge pickup has just the right amount of output to drive a Marshall but not over the top like a JB. It also seems like it has the top end, and the low end rolled off just slightly so the pickup stays tight under lots of gain, but retains really nice chewy mids. The Powertron Plus was designed for Billy G, which is basically their take on a PAF with more twang. Great pickups.

Back