Pickups wired parallel or coil split?

Bakonshakin

Hey everyone. Ordered some new Wolfetone Marshallhead Bridge and Dr.Vintage kneck pickups for my Schecter C-1 Classic. The guitar has a 5 way switch and I believe it's wired parallel from the factory.

Now the question is what are some pros and cons of both these wiring combinations?

Parallel is hum canceling. Split is not. They sound a touch different. Best to try both ways and see which you prefer.

What's the output on a marshallhead? I think in low output pickups, parallel sounds better, but in high output pickups, the split sounds great.

grooveHT":2cjv9anr said:
What's the output on a marshallhead? I think in low output pickups, parallel sounds better, but in high output pickups, the split sounds great.

The output is in the 8.5k region

Brief side note, guys in the know have told me that output isn't just a factor of resistance, buy also magnet type (AN 2, 5, ceramic, whatever), wire gauge, pole piece design, etc.

But all that above crap aside, I'd definitely think in this case that parallel would give you a more full sound than split, and would be the way to go.

I have been experimenting a lot with my guitars on this question. I read that coil split is 3dB down from series (standard wiring) and parallel is 4dB. In general I prefer parallel for a lower output humbucker and coil split for a higher output humbucker. Parallel is also brighter than both, so I do find I have to adjust the tone when switching to parallel, which is not as necessary when switching to coil split.

I have been switching more of my guitars to series/parallel so I can retain the hum canceling. One gig I play regularly is pretty noisey with the lights and so,anything that is not him canceling just doesn't work for that gig.

blackba":b0557gyj said:
I have been experimenting a lot with my guitars on this question. I read that coil split is 3dB down from series (standard wiring) and parallel is 4dB. In general I prefer parallel for a lower output humbucker and coil split for a higher output humbucker. Parallel is also brighter than both, so I do find I have to adjust the tone when switching to parallel, which is not as necessary when switching to coil split.

I have been switching more of my guitars to series/parallel so I can retain the hum canceling. One gig I play regularly is pretty noisey with the lights and so,anything that is not him canceling just doesn't work for that gig.

Great info, thanks! I guess it just makes sense to try both

Another thing to keep in mind for coil split, is that most like to have the active coil in coil split be the inner two coils.
The two pictures below show pickup wiring colors and what is north and south. Notice how the slug side is North and the adjustable screw side is south. The 2nd picture shows a Gibson Les Paul,On a Gibson, the screws are typically to the outside. Most people ground out the screw side (south) when they coil split. If you put the pickups oriented like a les Paul, this will make the slug (north) inner coils the active coils for a coil split. If you are doing parallel, this does not matter.

color_codes.jpg

Les%20Paul%20Goldtop.JPG

With a full coil split you can get Strat-like sounds and your in-between pickup positions can sound quacky.

Back