Please help - first WDW

mnavarro

I'm looking to try a w/d/w rig with the equipment I have.
A mini rectifier 25w lunchbox head for dry
an older Line 6 spider IV head with Digitech RP500 through the spider effects loop to Samson servo 120 poweramp for wet?

2 Crate 2x12 cabinets (Celestion G12k-85) - 1 in mono from the Mesa, one in stereo from the Samson poweramp

Will look to make upgrades after I learn how to do this.

1. Believe I need an ABY switch (active and buffered from another thread)

2. I think I also need something to be able to play at lower volumes. Do I need a power soak for the mesa and two for each chanel of the stereo amp? Recommendations appreciated. Right now playing through either I cant go much past one in the house.

Been playing for a long time but new to all this so any recommendations appreciated. Up to now I've just played just through an amp or through headphones on the RP 500. Apologize for the ignorance.

Usually, true WDW involves 3 cabinets -center dry and two wet ones. So you basically need one more cab and you are ok. Guitar to Mesa, Slave out from Mesa to RP500 and then stereo out to power amp, power amp to outer two cabs.

With your current setup you can do W/D, but not stereo.

Couple different ways to go at it. If it were me, I’d remove the line6 from the equation (not because it’s line 6, but because you don’t need it here). You just need a line out box. The rectifier doesn’t have a line out so something like the Suhr ISO Line Out will give you a line level signal to send to your fx unit. It plus in between the speaker out of the amp and the cabinet. So speaker cable goes from amp to Suhr Line Out, then another speaker cable goes from Suhr to your dry cab. Line out Jack on the Suhr goes to your fx unit with just a regular instrument cable. Left out and right out from the fx unit goes to your power amp and out to your stereo cab. You unfortunately can’t set it up to have the wet speakers on the left and right of your dry cab, but it’s not the end of the world. Basically for $150 for the Suhr you can be up and running. If you dig it, you can grab another cab when you’re ready.

You just need a Bray Line out box...
Its less than the suhr...

You place it between the head&cab, get the line signal to your effects processor(it needs to be 100% wet) then to your power amp and then to the wet cab(s)...

So nice and addictive...

Yes, a line out box is the ticket. Another cab for your dry; then the line out to your FX unit...best stereo spread will have 2 separate delay units, or a unit that has 2 separate programmable times for each out of the unit, to each side of the power amp.
My rig is line out box, to stereo chorus pedal for the splitter, in to 2 separate SD3000s that are set at 375ms delay, the other SD is 750ms. Then each SD out to either side of the power amp. Out to 2 separate cabs...setting them 6-8 ft apart and the Dry cab in the middle of the two. With those 2 different delay times you're going to get a nice stereo bounce to the sound.

When you go a bit deeper, there is also parallel signal path for fx wet cabs, mixing in the dry via mixer etc :) Lots of fun lol.

I use Bray LO-1 for the speaker tap, then into a mixer with 3 stereo parallel fx loops (one has Boss MD-500, other BOSS DD-500) and a separate dry path, so you can mix it in if needed. Then to stereo power amp and to wet cabs.

Two cabs in your setup are not ideal, so three would be the way to go for true WDW.

When you go a bit deeper, there is also parallel signal path for fx wet cabs, mixing in the dry via mixer etc :) Lots of fun lol.

I use Bray LO-1 for the speaker tap, then into a mixer with 3 stereo parallel fx loops (one has Boss MD-500, other BOSS DD-500) and a separate dry path, so you can mix it in if needed. Then to stereo power amp and to wet cabs.

Two cabs in your setup are not ideal, so three would be the way to go for true WDW.
Amen. Gotta mix in some dry IMO. Just works best for my taste. But totally not necessary for starting out

Back