Positi e Grid Bias Desktop

Bakonshakin

So considering Axe Fx, Kemper, the new Line 6 Helix etc, are all relatively expensive, how do they compare to Bias Desktop?
Consider this in the area of recording with a band.

I use Bias exclusively, and have found some tricks to make things sound much better. After some tweaking and use of other plug-ins/3rd party It's, I'm getting some good sounds. I will write up a list of tips tonight and post it in this thread for you when I'm done.

Oh, and welcome to RT.

So I had an Axe FX II long time ago and recently have been using Bias on my iPhone. From my memory, I'm actually happier with Bias than the Axe FX, though this would have been many many software updates ago.

Bias is fantastic! I really enjoy using Bias FX desktop. I run Wos-III for the cab IRs and it sounds fabulous!

I bought Bias Amp and Bias Fx for my Ipad about a week ago and I can say that there's no way this can come close to a real Marshall amplifier.

Ok, so I didn't get time to write up a great guide, but I will leave some tips here. I use Bias Desktop as a plug-in inside of Logic Pro X. If you have the latest version of Bias, either use the new IR loader in Bias or bypass the cab/mic emu and use 3rd party IRs. I've found the Bias cab/mic sims dissapointing, and very limiting. I've got a bunch of IRs, both free and paid for, that I mess around with. I load IRs up with Redwirez MixIR, but there are quite a few good Convolver plug-ins which can be had for free. Two Notes Wall of Sound, LeCab, NadIr, MixIR, etc.. Play around with using multiple IRs and Impedance Curves in parallel (MixIR allows you to do this) to get a more natural sound.

For IR's, I use some stuff from Redwirez, Ownhammer, 7deadlysins, Telos, and Rosen Digital. While you're at it, grab the Amp Sim VSTs from LePou and use those along with Bias. They are great, and completely free!

If your rig can support it, try and run your project and plug-ins at higher bit-rates. The standard is 44.1 kHz. Running higher than that seems to help with the digital artifacting in Bias (and other VST plug-ins). Don't worry about running higher bit-rates if you can't do it though. I run at 44.1 kHZ. The next tip will help out with the artifacting.

The next key is to use a EQ AFTER Bias in your control panel. With the EQ, run a low and high pass to get rid of the nasty, harsh digital sound on the high end. HUGE improvement. Same thing for the low end, but much less noticeable. Start with the low pass at a sharp Q setting, and move it through the high end frequencies as you listen to a pre-recorded track. You'll be able to hear where the problem is, and EQ it out with the low pass filter. Do the same thing with the high pass, although this one makes a less noticeable difference.

After putting all of this together, you will hear a HUGE improvement in your tone coming from Bias. I've only been playing with this stuff for the past week, so I am far from a master at this subject, but trust me, it works. I'm still learning new stuff about VSTs every day. Right now, I'm playing around with different IR combinations and using Channel Strip Emulation VSTs in front of my signal (before the amp sim).

While I don't have experience with the BIAS Desktop version, I have the iPhone and iPad "original" version of BIAS. Played it "exclusively" live & recording for most of 2014 gigs & recordings we did and was relatively happy with it.

After getting me a Kemper Toaster, I've not used BIAS at all save for one practice session. To my ear there's no comparison, the Kemper sounds and feels better. To me and my use mind you.

It's great to time be a musician these days with so many good to great options!

I'm messing around with the newest LePou amp sim VSTs right now (can't sleep), and the Recto plug-in is killer! I've used it before, but that was a long time ago. I'm not a fan of the Recto sounds in Bias at the moment. I just can't find a sound a dig. The LePou plug-in, on the other hand, is awesome! I will be using it along with the Mark IV kind of sound I use in Bias for some new tracks I've been working on. Lots of fun!

The Marshall-esque plug-in from LePou is great too. I'll mix that in somewhere, for sure.

I am using a Parametric EQ, set to low and high pass filter after amp sims constantly from now on. It's a drastic improvement!

Ok, so I didn't get time to write up a great guide, but I will leave some tips here. I use Bias Desktop as a plug-in inside of Logic Pro X. If you have the latest version of Bias, either use the new IR loader in Bias or bypass the cab/mic emu and use 3rd party IRs. I've found the Bias cab/mic sims dissapointing, and very limiting. I've got a bunch of IRs, both free and paid for, that I mess around with. I load IRs up with Redwirez MixIR, but there are quite a few good Convolver plug-ins which can be had for free. Two Notes Wall of Sound, LeCab, NadIr, MixIR, etc.. Play around with using multiple IRs and Impedance Curves in parallel (MixIR allows you to do this) to get a more natural sound.

For IR's, I use some stuff from Redwirez, Ownhammer, 7deadlysins, Telos, and Rosen Digital. While you're at it, grab the Amp Sim VSTs from LePou and use those along with Bias. They are great, and completely free!

If your rig can support it, try and run your project and plug-ins at higher bit-rates. The standard is 44.1 kHz. Running higher than that seems to help with the digital artifacting in Bias (and other VST plug-ins). Don't worry about running higher bit-rates if you can't do it though. I run at 44.1 kHZ. The next tip will help out with the artifacting.

The next key is to use a EQ AFTER Bias in your control panel. With the EQ, run a low and high pass to get rid of the nasty, harsh digital sound on the high end. HUGE improvement. Same thing for the low end, but much less noticeable. Start with the low pass at a sharp Q setting, and move it through the high end frequencies as you listen to a pre-recorded track. You'll be able to hear where the problem is, and EQ it out with the low pass filter. Do the same thing with the high pass, although this one makes a less noticeable difference.

After putting all of this together, you will hear a HUGE improvement in your tone coming from Bias. I've only been playing with this stuff for the past week, so I am far from a master at this subject, but trust me, it works. I'm still learning new stuff about VSTs every day. Right now, I'm playing around with different IR combinations and using Channel Strip Emulation VSTs in front of my signal (before the amp sim).

Hey thanks Rock God. I've yet to look into IR and the like and I think it's time I start diving in. I checked out redwire and the two notes wall of sound. Redwirez looks like they really care about what they're doing, not that two notes doesnt, but I just got a good vibe from rewirez.

I appreciate all the input RG, Thanks again. And thanks to everyone else!

There are tons of good Cab IRs out there, both free and with a small fee. I've had good luck with Redwirez OwnHammer, Catharthis, and a few more (I'll post a more detailed list when I'm in front of my computer). I use Redwirez MixIR2 to load Impulses and blend them. When choosing IRs, I suggest leaving the tone controls on your amp sim flat, adjust the gain to taste, and then choose 2 IRs. One IR for the low end bass response you're looking for, and then another for the high end to blend together. Once you've found 2 IRs that you dig, play with the mix levels to blend them to your liking, and then tweak the controls on the amp sim.

That should be enough to get you started. I could send you some IRs if you'd like as well. I won't share any of the commercial IRs (buy them from their respective creators, please!) , but I do have tons of free IR files from many sources, including Redwirez and OwnHammer.

What IRs are you guys using? I know there are quite a few Torpedo Live users here on RT, as well as Kemper and Axe-Fx. I'm sure there are tons of IRs in use around here. I think it would be cool to put together a big package of free IRs based on what everyone here uses. We'd have to credit the sources of course, but it would be doable.

Oh, and my name is CaseyCor (or just Casey if you prefer). The Rock God thing is just a little nickname the website gives you based on how many posts you've made here :) I'm not nearly pretentious enough to call myself a Rock God, haha. A bit of a dick perhaps, but certainly not that full of myself.

Let me know how your digital guitar amp exploits go! I'm new to a lot of this stuff too, just making it up as I go along. I've been playing with different plug-ins on some tracks I recorded for a couple hours every night, and I keep finding more and more interesting stuff. Boosting some frequencies with a graphic EQ after the parametric to compensate for the low/high pass filters, using channel strip/pre-amp emulation plug ins at the front of the signal chain, running a DeEsser before the amp sim, using bus sends to create a Wet/Dry/Wet rig (which sounds huge!). It's been frustrating at times, but overall a lot of fun.

Dude, it's not a Recto but give the newest 5150 sim from TSE a shot, the paid version. It's totally worth it...I have an AxeII but if I don't feel like firing it up I'll use that one. If the Axe is a 10 that sim is an 8.5 at least.

I really like Bias because the iOS interface is really convenient. Also, the deep editing capabilities are nicely laid out. All the crazy menus in the AFXII were hard for me to understand what each one was supposed to do. But in Bias, it's pretty simple. Want to add gain stages to a 1959? Easy. Want to switch between tube and diode rectification? Easy. Etc. And the change in tone from each one is predictable and makes sense. Deep editing is simple and actually fun instead of a rabbit hole of endless tweaking.

Back