Power amp pedal

Ok guys, after my Randall RG8 purchase, I'm thinking of purchasing a power amp pedal, to try some preamp pedals and distortion pedals.

I've come across the Magnum 44 and the Quilter tone block.

Does anyone own any power amp pedals in the sub $100 price range?

Recommendations please!

I have a Mooer Baby Bomb, it's way louder than you'd expect it to be. Haven't tried any of the others- I considered a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170, but ultimately went with the BB due to the large difference in price ($100 vs $400). The only complaints I have about the BB are that it will always pop when powering on (not a super loud pop) and that I get some noise when plugging into dirty/poorly wired power.

indespise":32mo81a2 said:
I have a Mooer Baby Bomb, it's way louder than you'd expect it to be. Haven't tried any of the others- I considered a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170, but ultimately went with the BB due to the large difference in price ($100 vs $400). The only complaints I have about the BB are that it will always pop when powering on (not a super loud pop) and that I get some noise when plugging into dirty/poorly wired power.

Will check out...thanks

I have a EH 22 Caliber pedal that I used as a backup for a tour (used during one gig) - it worked well. Actually been meaning to dig it up and test the pedal / list it for sale.

I’ve heard people use the Mooer Baby Bomb with great success - a Finnish Metal band I saw last year used the baby bomb plus those mooer effect pedals for both guitar players live. Tone sounded great and full.

One of the bands in my area uses a powerstage + axefx for one guitarist and it gets plenty loud and sounded good

I did not like the EHX Magnum at all. Quilter would be my go to but I have not owned one. I have not thought about the mooer, I will wait until I see how they hold up from other people. I don't quite trust them yet tbh.

I have owned the 44 mag and a quilter 101 mini. While the Quilter is not a pedal that dominates the 44 mag IMO. Have never tried any other quilter so i can't compare.

It is hard to recommend without knowing your intentions but if you play in a band do not get the 44 magnum. It is simply just not enough.

In a rare instance where you have an excellent and well controlled drummer while playing music that is not so loud it could work.

But if you play loud music it can barely keep up and there is virtually no headroom.

If you are just looking for a practice rig or something for the house where you don't need to crank the volume the 44 mag would work just fine.

Agree with all the above on the .44. I got one as a backup to throw into my gig bag in case SHTF. It's simply not loud enough to play in a band with, and I don't play very loud. It might be good if you played jazz or a small trio very quiet..for rock..forget it.

maddnotez":2t9sz6uh said:
I have owned the 44 mag and a quilter 101 mini. While the Quilter is not a pedal that dominates the 44 mag IMO. Have never tried any other quilter so i can't compare.

It is hard to recommend without knowing your intentions but if you play in a band do not get the 44 magnum. It is simply just not enough.

In a rare instance where you have an excellent and well controlled drummer while playing music that is not so loud it could work.

But if you play loud music it can barely keep up and there is virtually no headroom.

If you are just looking for a practice rig or something for the house where you don't need to crank the volume the 44 mag would work just fine.

Would just be for the house, practice rig to play around with my pedals and preamps.

inhuman666":3phb4g12 said:
maddnotez":3phb4g12 said:

Would just be for the house, practice rig to play around with my pedals and preamps.

In that case my research would be based on which poweramp pedal adds the least amount of color because volume would not matter to me. From my experience comparing the 44 mag and the quilter 101 mini the 44 mag wins for least amount of coloration.

The quilter definitely added quite a bit of color. It happened to work out very well with the power amp I was using but I would still prefer something clean. Just my preference and might not always equate to the best sounds.

I have owned the 44 magnum for years and it is very more transparent, it does not really color your tone. Through a 4x12 it gets louder than you would think, if you mic your cab you should be fine. Run your favorite od pedal as a preamp and you are good to go.

Back