Power Amp Tubes- What Does Papa Diezel Recommend?

Ultradeaf

Love my EL34BHT tubes, but will need to replace them eventually. I know Papa Diezel recommended other tubes against EL34BHT due to quality/burn-in concerns with the BHT at one point. What EL34 is currently recommended?

Papa diezel only recommends KT77 which is a really clean tube but lack on the mids on the herbert... i have tried EH EL34 and it looser end but with mids filled in with a sizzle or fizzy top end which i didnt like either... i switch back to kt77 but have yet to try 6550 or KT88s...

A friend of mine recommended EL34BSTR tubes. Said they sounded great in his VH4

If you think they lack mids it’s because you bias them too cold.

Get a set of low current draw KT77’s, the lowest “Bias Point” or whatever so they are strong and will last a good while.

Bias them between 70 and 80 percent of 32 watts, which is the plate and screen dissipation combined. 24 watts is fine!

You will notice after these are broken in and running for over an hour that they are special and understand why Peter uses them.

Ultimately, they sound best cathode biased at 30 watts idle or in single ended class A.

Last edited by a moderator:
Papa & Diezel Crew will load their amps with the most consistent sounding, best quality-per-price ratio, widely/generally available "en masse" tubes. Over the years, several brands have come stock - Ruby, JJ, etc. Some people question why such high-end amps come with such common tubes - the point is, no sense upcharging buyers for top-drawer glass when often players will replace tubes to "their" tastes well after the purchase. But moreover, it's about "quality" batches, that are "sonically" and "mechanically" consistent. Therefore all amps off the line can be tuned to sound as exact to one another as possible, and if a purchaser blows a tube off the bat, it's an easy, cost-reasonable, and readily available swap out just in the event of.

EL34s came stock for a few years, but the 77s have gained global approval and acceptance - and right now - the JJ brand is damn solid, really good sounding, relatively inexpensive, but of excellent quality tubeset. They can also take a bias-beating in the event of spikes or user installation/bias/tweak error (within reason).

Hope this helps. I've used Genalex GoldLion KT-77 for years, but my recent stock JJ tubes sound fkn awesome too. I've also used =C= 6550s, and those sounded ridiculously good, but at $100+ a pop (if yer lucky), and a slight frown from Papa for the bias heat coming off of them, I've pulled back on using them and really just enjoy my 77 style tubes (one admission, I always pop an LPS into the PI slot of all my amps - right outta the box - but that's my own personal thaaaang!!)

Peace n Powerchords
UnkleMo

I’m in the minority but I put all 6l6s in all 3 of my diezels . I never see anyone else do that but it does it for me .

I have 6l6s in my Einstein and I love them
Not too uncommon actually, hence the 6L6/EL34 bias toggle on the chassis - I've run 6L6 but found they lacked the mid punch of an EL34, but offered really nice top-end. I believe the transition to 77 style tubesets was to kinda offer a parlay between both camps of tubes - the mid grunt and some heft in the lower ranges like that of an EL34, with a more defined top end and sparkle like that of the 6L6.

Anything flies in the VH4 - it's really up to the end users ears. That's the right tube - the one that makes you wanna play more. Simple.

Not too uncommon actually, hence the 6L6/EL34 bias toggle on the chassis - I've run 6L6 but found they lacked the mid punch of an EL34, but offered really nice top-end. I believe the transition to 77 style tubesets was to kinda offer a parlay between both camps of tubes - the mid grunt and some heft in the lower ranges like that of an EL34, with a more defined top end and sparkle like that of the 6L6.

Anything flies in the VH4 - it's really up to the end users ears. That's the right tube - the one that makes you wanna play more. Simple.
Exactly. The 77 is a zenith of EL34/6L6 properties, a nearly perfect valve. Not a GEC, but then again a Sovtek LPS isn’t a Mullard f91.

Seems that Diezel has now equipped series of amps with 6L6 as stock tubes? At least all amps in Thomann have "6L6" in conjunction with the model name. I like 6L6 in many amps, never tried them in Diezel yet.

Seems that Diezel has now equipped series of amps with 6L6 as stock tubes? At least all amps in Thomann have "6L6" in conjunction with the model name. I like 6L6 in many amps, never tried them in Diezel yet.
Yes, it's because of KT77 long delivery time and among the available ones Peter liked them the most!

Reactions: TTV
I have 2 Heberts (mk 1 ,mk3, and 1 Vh4 . I’m always disappointed with those KT77s. 6l6s gives me aggression I love in Vh4 . 4 KT88S with 2 6l6s in my Herberts

Reactions: TTV
What tubes are coming in the upcoming VH2 shipment to North America. I see GC, Sweetwater, and some local shops say they expect some amps in the next month or two?
It was 6L6s, for anyone wondering. Cab gets in tomorrow.

AMP.jpg

Back