power attenuator

sden

Hi all,
first of all, sorry for the beginner question ;-)
I found an old power attenuator to use with my Einstein Combo. The output signal and speaker ohm does not match 8 to 16. Is this critical?
Thanks!

Peter does not recommend using power attenuator with Diezels.. I really don't think you need with the Einy, it sounds great as is!

I played the Einstein through an attenuator really briefly, and the tone became quite muddy. It lost a lot of the highs and presence.

I thought Diezel's were mostly about preamp tone, anyway? :confused:

hi everyone

I just place an order to buy my Eny Head 100W, in replacement of a Kock multitone II in test, that didn't satisfy me (against all the very good reviews: nothing to replace our ears and test...).
So I wait for it this week may be.
My question is: I have the really good power attenuator Koch LB120 and use it with my 50 chinese head (no name, with 6L6) and it works fine.
What the trouble with the Eny: peter didn't recommand ... ?? what's the reason ? get aged the tube, power transformer ? I didn't experience trouble so far with my current amp.

I mean of course with the right impedance value: 8 Ohms in my case for amp and cab...

Thanks in advance for you all, guys, really appreciate this forum to "discover" the Eny...

Regards
Bruno (from France)

I have played the Einstein on several occasions,,I see no need for an attenuator at all, sounds awesome at low volumes and still retains all the dynamics, ,,and Papa said NO!!

all right guys, thanks for your feedback. It seems the masters volume along with a great sound capability at "low" volume are enought to play at home ... :thumbsup: fine !
my koch loadbox will only be used to make some recording without messing with cab micking...

Dears,

I received my Eny: whoowww ! :thumbsup:
effectively no need for a power attenuator, the master volume is really fine and I got a great sound in my home studio.

Very nice forum, helping me a lot in my choice and I'm really pleased, so did the right choice ! :D

First of all, it is illegal to use any type of attenuator with Diezel amps. Simply read the constitution! :yes:

Secondly, Diezel amps are NOT just about preamp saturation and tone! :gethim:

How many of you with a VH4 have used your amp with the global volume control between 1 o'clock and full up? Between those points lie the power tube saturation tones on the amp, thus allowing you to blend in preamp tube gain with power tube saturation at any volume.

Schmidt owners will find that power tube saturation is also there in the amps.

Power tube saturation added to some preamp saturation creates the greatest tones, IF used judiciously.

I know Peter is giving the thumbs-down on attenuators, but for any of you who need to play at extremely low volumes I'd recommend the Aracom PRX150-Pro. I just picked one up and I'm extremely impressed. It's the first time I've been happy with an attenuator. It sounds fantastic at low volumes, and gets very low in level while retaining good tone. I am also using it as a load box for direct recording through a cab sim. It could be used as a load box for amp work as well (although a really expensive option for simply doing that).

If you do venture into the world of attenuators give this one a try. Not to mention that the owner, Jeff, has customer service on par with Peter's. He responded to all my emails within a day.

Back