Power Tubes Recommendations

I have Svetlana EL34L's in mine right now and like them well enough. Sound similar to JJs to me, unless it is my mind playing tricks on me. The Mullards that were in my amp when I bought it used still work fine and I believe they were new production.

I can't give you detailed differences in these though - you will get a lot more responses if you post in main forum :dunno:

I have Svetlana EL34L's in mine right now and like them well enough. Sound similar to JJs to me, unless it is my mind playing tricks on me. The Mullards that were in my amp when I bought it used still work fine and I believe they were new production.

I can't give you detailed differences in these though - you will get a lot more responses if you post in main forum :dunno:
thanks 311.. I reached out to Scott and he said he's now using PSVANE EL34C and JJ Pres in his amps. I am curious about those PSVANEs now. haha

Last edited:
thanks 311.. I reached out to Scott and he said he's now using PSVANE EL34C and JJ Pres in his amps. I am curious about those PSVANEs now. haha
I went with the Psvanes in my QR 100. When re tubing about 1 year ago, I contacted Scott and he also recommended the Psvanes to me. I think they sound great. Last week I replaced all my OG preamp tubes with jj's and I think they add a bit sizzle and a bit of sustain over the OG tubes the head shipped with. Perhaps its just that they aren't tired old tubes(mine were 6 years old, and one went microphonic). But honestly, My amp has never sounded better.

I went with the Psvanes in my QR 100. When re tubing about 1 year ago, I contacted Scott and he also recommended the Psvanes to me. I think they sound great. Last week I replaced all my OG preamp tubes with jj's and I think they add a bit sizzle and a bit of sustain over the OG tubes the head shipped with. Perhaps its just that they aren't tired old tubes(mine were 6 years old, and one went microphonic). But honestly, My amp has never sounded better.
Any chance you can compare the PSVANE EL34s to the JJs?

Wow, never heard of them :dunno:

I've been running JJ's for awhile now. I don't understand all the hate they get.
Yeah same in my 2010 Super Stock, a set of JJs in the power amp after Rubies in the preamp a few years before really opened it up. It's maybe a touch more gainy than it was before, but it definitely affected the dynamic response and tightened the lower mids up.
It's a pretty transparent amp, so little changes are really noticeable.

Any chance you can compare the PSVANE EL34s to the JJs?
I have only ever had the OG power tubes that shipped in my New QR in 2017 and the Psvanes that I have now, as recommneded by Scott. It's been a while since I replaced them, so any memory would be less than accurate. I can tell you that, I do recall right after swapping the Power tubes in the amp I was able to dial in any sound I was previously able to achieve with the OG tubes. I do run jj Preamp tubes now, and tbh, I like them better than what was in the Head originally, at least for my purposes. I run my amp in gear 1 most of the time, and use the New/OLD switch set to New, and the mid switch set to off. Sometimes I run gear 2 or 3, for some serious hair, but mostly just gear 1 and roll back for cleans. Using Suhr Mini Mix 2 and a TC g Major 2 inside the effects loop, with the effects kill dry on. Sounds amazing.

Yeah same in my 2010 Super Stock, a set of JJs in the power amp after Rubies in the preamp a few years before really opened it up. It's maybe a touch more gainy than it was before, but it definitely affected the dynamic response and tightened the lower mids up.
It's a pretty transparent amp, so little changes are really noticeable.
Yep - that was my experience and welcome to Rig-Talk. Come on in and grab a beer. :cheers:

Back