Practice routine?

lespaul3013

Hey guys...

What would be a good 30-minute, direct-but-effective practice schedule to cover a lot of ground for my students.
I'm wanting to develop a method to work on chords and progressions, scales (modes), dexterity, and being able to play different genres.

I want the routine to be directed at covering the basics and fundamentals of jazz, rock, blues, and even a little country.

I know you can't learn all of these at once, so I'm thinking maybe to start with one genre at a time, but to have the same overall practice schedule...just directed a little differently for the respective genres.

Thanks!
Jordan :rock:

That's an awful lot for a mere 30 minutes. So assuming there isn't the usual fucking off for 15 minutes and the 30 would be used indeed to work on stuff that aren't familiar...

Moving from chord shape to chord shape. say 4 note diminished chords starting on the E then A then D string.
Metronome practice...no not for chops but time.
Staying with the metronome and playing a mode...say dorian for 2 beats in 8th notes, then without shifting positions change to the same mode up a half step and play that for 2 beats etc...
This can be done with all keys without changing positions. Or go up in 5th etc...
A picking étude to get that under control...

And that's likely already more than 30.
EAR TRAINING...transcribing stuff...ON PAPER. eventually without guitar in hand.

If you wanna get serious...
transcribing rhythms
Singign lines

More eartraining...hearing a root and sing any given pitch in reference...etc...

degenaro":1butjq0p said:
That's an awful lot for a mere 30 minutes. So assuming there isn't the usual fucking off for 15 minutes and the 30 would be used indeed to work on stuff that aren't familiar...

Moving from chord shape to chord shape. say 4 note diminished chords starting on the E then A then D string.
Metronome practice...no not for chops but time.
Staying with the metronome and playing a mode...say dorian for 2 beats in 8th notes, then without shifting positions change to the same mode up a half step and play that for 2 beats etc...
This can be done with all keys without changing positions. Or go up in 5th etc...
A picking étude to get that under control...

And that's likely already more than 30.
EAR TRAINING...transcribing stuff...ON PAPER. eventually without guitar in hand.

If you wanna get serious...
transcribing rhythms
Singign lines

More eartraining...hearing a root and sing any given pitch in reference...etc...

Yea, I know this is a LOT of material to cover in 30 minutes.

Its actually not even for me...this is for one of my older students who has a family and other responsibilities, so he says his maximum practice time per day would be about 30 minutes...maybe more on weekends.

So this has really challenged me to think about the fundamental elements of what he's trying to learn and create a really direct, focused method for his practicing.

Thanks for the input...I'll keep you guys posted about what I come up with.
Jordan :rock:

CAGED system for Chords... 15 min..

Major/Minor/Pentatonic scale shapes...and interval relationships. 15min

Any extra time...jam to some real music :rock:

suhrimmetal":3sm48dl4 said:
CAGED system for Chords... 15 min..

Major/Minor/Pentatonic scale shapes...and interval relationships. 15min

Any extra time...jam to some real music :rock:

I like it...good stuff man!
Good luck on the amp hunt as well...I've been following that thread a little :rock:

hey guys.......
definitely there is a need for a practice session. which is must for your practice sessions. thus we should rock the world by doing the practice
Alladsclassified

I usually complain about the bass player to the drummer than vices verse... Then wait for the singer to show up ... typical practice.

Back