Preamp pedals or distortion boxes??

mchn13

Im curious as i dont really know, but a lot of stompboxes are being advertised as preamps nowadays. What makes them preamps? Having channels or an output that is loud enough for a power amp? There seem to be a lot of nice sounding pedals out and i want to build a stereo pedal rig that i can carry in a pedalboard case.
I just tried the bluguitar iridium, but it was to stiff or tight for me to boost it like the evh III’s ive had.

Pretty much.

Preamp pedals are voiced overall brighter and louder, and are meant to go in the FX return, bypassing the preamp. Sometimes you can tweak them to work in front, but most of the time, they will come off as harsh and loud.

Distortion pedals are voiced darker and quieter. They're meant to go into a clean amp/clean channel. Sometimes you can make them work as preamps, but the EQ knobs and output levels have to be powerful enough to accomodate so.

thanks guys. soooo.. into a SD powerstage a distortion pedal would be fine as it has a preamp built in? but what about a true preamp pedal that has line level output through the same into the same unit.?

Either would be fine, I think. The Powerstage has the upside that it has an EQ section.

I think it's not only that preamp pedals are hotter, but that they're brighter too. But the Powerstage has the means of compensating for both. I'm sure it has enough headroom to handle a hotter signal. It was meant to be a standalone poweramp after all.

Mine has a power amp out in addition to the standard out. It sounds better to my ears going into the loop and using it as a pre.
IMG_0204.jpeg

Ola and a few other Youtubers kinda added to the confusion of some people by running distortion pedals into a power amp or FX return of an amp and running them "like a preamp". But yeah, what the others have said. Different voicing and levels. The Thors Hammer above I believe is like the Diezel pedals where it has a separate jack for running in front of a amp or going straight into a power amp. The old 2 series from AMT had the same thing. My Vox Copperhead has a switch so it also can be used either way.

Back