Preamp tube socket broken

leib10

I was replacing a preamp tube on my Uberschall when the white porcelain portion of the tube socket came off. I placed it back on the rest of the socket and put a preamp tube back in, and it plays fine. However, I'm worried that it may not last, or that it may break further. Is there a way to repair it or do I have to replace it?

leib10":33qtzq4n said:
I was replacing a preamp tube on my Uberschall when the white porcelain portion of the tube socket came off. I placed it back on the rest of the socket and put a preamp tube back in, and it plays fine. However, I'm worried that it may not last, or that it may break further. Is there a way to repair it or do I have to replace it?
You'll need to replace it.

Steve

I'm not surprised. I had an Uberschall and I remember the circuit board flexing pretty badly when changing the power tubes. Was surprised how flimsy it was.

leib10":200qipqj said:
What's the best way to replace it? Any good videos?
Unless you really know your way around the inside of an amp, you should take it to a professional.

Steve

Is it worth replacing? The amp is working just fine, and if I'm careful taking the preamp tube out the porcelain piece doesn't come off.

leib10":3pyf6ily said:
Is it worth replacing? The amp is working just fine, and if I'm careful taking the preamp tube out the porcelain piece doesn't come off.

It's an uberschall! IMO it's worth fixing correctly. Take Stevens advice and get someone to fix it.

rottingcorpse":ag90cz36 said:
leib10":ag90cz36 said:

It's an uberschall! IMO it's worth fixing correctly. Take Stevens advice and get someone to fix it.

Yeah man, I would just bring it in. That is a real bummer dude. BUT if there is any chance of it falling back off while it is powered on that is something I would not want to risk.

I don't know how much stuff is around that socket, but it shouldn't be too hard to DIY it, if you're handy with a solder iron. I just did two Marshall clone builds, so this stuff is fresh in my mind. The sockets cost next to nothing and with the quality of cell phone cameras and Internet layouts these days, I would think you could handle it. I hate shipping amps too.

Back