Preamp valve tone tests

paolojm

This is a tone test of a bunch of the main types of 12Ax7 type preamp valves from my little stash. It's a follow to the short speaker I posted before. I'll be exanding on the speaker thing as well as a bunch of other stuff over the coming weeks.

The clips are all recorded using my Harley Benton GA5 as it only uses one preamp valve so the tone of each should come across clear than if there were multiple preamp valves.

The clips are recorded with my USA Strat on the neck pick up straight to the HA GA5 => V30 speaker and close miked with a SM57 => MBox and ProTools.
No post EQ or effects are used.

With the volume at 10 you're hearing some farty blocking distortion. This was the first amp I modifyed, and at the time I figured any series grid resistance was taking away from valuable gain, so there's no grid stop at all between the two halves. Haven't had time to get back in there to sort it out.

I recorded each clip in the same format, volume at 5 followed by volume at 10 with some chords and single notes in each, to allow for easy comparison.
The power valve is a JJ84.

I haven't adjusted the volume between clips either to show relative volumes with the lower gain valves.

For some reason my JAN 57571, the NOS Mullard Yellow Label, NOS Mazda, NOS Sylvania and the Brimar wouldn't run in the HB.

The idea is to have a fair comparison for people to hear the differences from an independant source all recording under the exact same conditions and equipment.

Lemme whatcha think.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=997492

Back