PT question.

Hello,

So is this new PT amp a better built Marshall? It's what I'm looking for, something with high mids and no "modern" tone anything on it. The closest I've heard was the SE+ but it does have some modern type sound to it. What is this thing (PT) voiced like?

Thanks.

FriedChickenBandit":307i5df7 said:
Hello,

So is this new PT amp a better built Marshall? It's what I'm looking for, something with high mids and no "modern" tone anything on it. The closest I've heard was the SE+ but it does have some modern type sound to it. What is this thing (PT) voiced like?

Thanks.

The PT is not an SE+ at all..The PT is way more open and less compressed and much more in the marshall vein with more upper mids and bite...I did a clip...not a very good one but I think it'll give a good idea of some of the things the amp does. ??

The PT definitely has more of a Marshall vibe than the OD to me. However you still can get a very modern tone with the amp. If you want an amp that only sounds like a Marshall but built better then this one is not it IMHO. It has too many features that can take the amp from Fender Clean to Marshall Clean, then from a Plexi style tone on channel two if set right with the bright switch, etc... It can go into JCM800 modded territory with or without massive low end, think a JCM800 with Cameron mods. Then you can pretty much empty it of Mids all together with feedback, whomp and mid control.

It is a very versatile amp, and is a lot of fun to play. But it may not be for you if you only want a better built Marshall and nothing more......

The amp is like a great Marshall on CH2 with the added bonus of a stellar clean channel. It is versatile. Very. But it's hard to get a bad sound- it's not like tweaking a Boogie or something. I run all my tones between 4 and 6 on channel 2. You can pretty much set everything on 5 and it sounds KILLER. Easy. Feedback, you'll find your setting easily.. presence, I run on 4 or so... bright sounds great on (that's how I have it usually) but off is real nice too.

I have had both (still have the PT100). It is an awesome amp with a wide variety of tones. It is more open, less compressed, and has more of a Marshall feel than the SE+. If you are not interested in the "Modern" types of tones I look at the PT100 well before I looked at the SE+. The SE+ had too much bottom end for me and was a bit too compressed for my liking. That said I can get pretty close to the SE+ with the PT100 as well as have all of the other options, etc.

IMHO the PT100 is nearly the perfect channel switcher. One of the best clean tones, great mid gain/crunch on ch2, and all out high gain on ch3. Then you can start playing with the Whomp II and feedback controls and there tons more tonal options. The effects loop is also very good!

From what you described I would definitely look at the PT100. Also if you search around on the Internet you will be hard pressed to find many unhappy PT100 owners.

I love hearing such positive things about the PT100. My SE+ is at Suhr awaiting the transformation in the next week or two. It just can't happen soon enough for me.

Was there a Youtube video of someone doing Ratt and other hair metal on a PT100 that anyone knows of? I can't find it anymore.

tlingen":1mauoq6u said:
I love hearing such positive things about the PT100. My SE+ is at Suhr awaiting the transformation in the next week or two. It just can't happen soon enough for me.

Was there a Youtube video of someone doing Ratt and other hair metal on a PT100 that anyone knows of? I can't find it anymore.

That was me ...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZTGHijXzFA

Are these amps going to get a face lift and have the Suhr tag on them soon? I thought I might of read that somewhere.

zewango":5vrjdx1y said:
Are these amps going to get a face lift and have the Suhr tag on them soon? I thought I might of read that somewhere.

Yeah....gonna get a makeover....Suhr branded,tubes up chassis, switching options etc..

Thanx for all the info, is the PT100 also capable of pop rock crunch, think Lukather Rosanna rhythm sound, or is it more aggresive..thx Macka

Mcgas":101lb3u0 said:
Thanx for all the info, is the PT100 also capable of pop rock crunch, think Lukather Rosanna rhythm sound, or is it more aggresive..thx Macka

With the Whomp II, the Feedback control and the Presence you won't have any problem dialing in what you need ! Plus it's always been my experience if you're going to wash the basic tone through 80's style effects ( multiple delays, reverbs, etc; ), then you'll want to start with a basic tone that's just a bit more aggressive sounding when it's dry anyway. Because all the grease will always smooth it out ....

Good Luck !

Back