Pulled the trigger - ordered a Rebel 30

kingsryche

Gotta love Labor Day weekend. MF always has a big sale so I ordered a Rebel 30 and got 15% off and free shipping. Thought now would be a great time to try out the 30 at home and spend a few quality weeks with it to determine if it is a keeper or do I just stick with my 20. I have had my current Rebel for almost 2 years but now that I am playing out more, I need a 2 channel little monster.

I didn't mind the 20 being only a single channel because I was going to get one of those E2's we have all heard about (blowing doors on that idea). Hope the 30 fits the bill. Sounds like it will but if not, back it goes to MF. From what I have read, the 30 is a killer little amp if you get one with no issues. I was very lucky with my 20...zero issues. I hope lightning strikes twice. Looked at other amps but for the features and price, there wasn't much competition. Looking to get it in a couple of weeks and put it thru its paces.

Now the anguish of waiting begins...plus I hope UPS doesn't mangle it :gethim:

Congrats and welcome to the club. I like mine best without pedals and when playing single coils. Dig the complex tones I get on channel 2, a gritty roar with that single coil chime riding on top.

Duff

Congrats on the new amp! :salute:
The Rebel responds nicely to different signal inputs. Each guitar clearly has it's own unique sound through this amp.
The clean channel is where this amp shines the most if you ask me.
And you get more of a growl than a crunch from channel 2. A very unique voicing in it's own right.
I use mine mainly for southern rock twang and country. Occasional I turn the gain past noon and this thing can really cook.
It can be a bit noisy, but that could be my preamp tube selection. Sovteks. :D
Anyway, I don't mind a little noise, hiss or buzz. ...it means your ready to jam. :rock:

My amp was supposed to be on backorder a couple weeks but when I got home yesterday it was sitting on the porch! After going thru my ritual of unpacking new gear, I hooked it up to my TM212 with no effects and went thru a bunch of settings.

Clean channel: Very impressive. I like the clean on the R20 but the clean on the R30 is pretty spectacular. Different pickup settings yielded a very warm and dynamic clean tone. Lots of shimmer available if you dial it in that way.

OD channel: Less impressive, at first. Problem is I like high gain (Marshall not Mesa) and the voicing on the R30 is different but I knew that going in. So I put my BB pre in front (like I do with my R20) and now we are talking. The additional gain from the BB gives it that extra something that was missing (to my ears). For grins I put my eq pedal in the loop and I can definitely turn it into a more modern sounding OD...more JCM800ish. Pretty good variety of tones available.

Loop: I put my Glass Nexus in the loop and dialed in different settings on the clean channel. Wow. Chords rang out with an excellent amount of sustain. I dialed in a sweet sounding flanger and thought my Glass Nexus has never sounded better.

Quality: It's as solid as my R20 and was very quiet. I had read reviews that talked about a hum or hiss that was noticeable but not on this unit. It's as quiet as should be expected with a couple of pedals in front of the amp and in the loop.

Anyways, this is the amp I wish they would have come out with instead of the 20...just because of the flexibility of 2 channels. I really love my R20 (had it almost 2 years) but needed a 2 channel amp. The R30 definitely fits the bill, especially for $656. Overall, a very cool little amp that offers a good variety of great tones. Definitely continue to be a fan of the Rebel line.

Congrats! While I own several models in the Renegade family I did acquire a Rebel 30 1-12 combo and matching cab to use as a vertical "stack" for crowded stages. I have been playing out with the Rebel at least 2-3 times a month and it has been awesome!

While the Rebel 30 certainly is a different animal (tonewise) than the Renegade, it does have a wonderful clean channel (i use it with a Strat) and the distortion I get from the gain channel is very smooth. I usually get this type of distortion on the Renegade's clean channel by using a Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive pedal (the yellow one).

I love both the Rebel 30 and the Renegade but my Rebel 30 "mini-stack" has been the best tone in the smallest package I have ever owned. Egnater has hit several home runs as far as I am concerned!

Steve

I have been working with the amp every day. I love the clean channel, it's great. But I am not sure the OD channel is going to work for me. It is so dark and bassy and I am having problems dialing in a high gain tone that works for me. Even with the bass dialed back and an eq pedal in the loop and a BB pre in front, I can't get it tight enough. Maybe it's a little too vintage for me. Anyone have any suggestions? I want to make it work because it has great features and is pretty versatile but I may need to look for something with a little more modern flavor.

that was my issue with it as well. Great 3d sound, but not so tight and fit for modern stuff.

perhaps getting a great drive up in front, like the riot or something might do the trick!

Audioholic":3ozgt5j4 said:
that was my issue with it as well. Great 3d sound, but not so tight and fit for modern stuff.

perhaps getting a great drive up in front, like the riot or something might do the trick!

Audioholic: Do you have an R30 currently? If so, what's your setup? Anyways, I am thinking you are right. Maybe the Riot or Severe pedal would do the trick but if so, I will just return the 30 and keep my 20. I don't want a 2 channel amp where I end up using a high gain pedal on channel 1 and don't do much with channel 2. I would just hate to part with that beautiful channel 1. If only a new set of tubes would magically re-voice the OD channel.

Well, the R30 is going back. I plugged into my R20 last night, dialed in the gain and it was instant gratification. I just can't get the R30 dialed in the same way. It's just too much of a rock/vintage tone and I need more modern/progressive. At least with the R20 I can get a pretty tight rhythm with a boost and eq pedal and the lead just sounds great. I guess the R30's voicing is just different. It's also very bassy and dark. I just couldn't gel with it. The clean channel is where it's at with the R30...it sounds stellar.

I still need a 2 channel amp so I'm looking to order one of the latest distortion pedals to use when I need to go from clean to dirty with one stomp (the riot or severe are prime candidates right now) so I can keep my R20 but use it as a 2 channel set up. It's still fun getting new gear and trying it out, even if it doesn't work out. My wife doesn't get it though...

kingsryche":3ubc3mo4 said:
I have been working with the amp every day. I love the clean channel, it's great. But I am not sure the OD channel is going to work for me. It is so dark and bassy and I am having problems dialing in a high gain tone that works for me. Even with the bass dialed back and an eq pedal in the loop and a BB pre in front, I can't get it tight enough. Maybe it's a little too vintage for me. Anyone have any suggestions? I want to make it work because it has great features and is pretty versatile but I may need to look for something with a little more modern flavor.
The OD channel on the Rebel 30 was the dealbreaker for me and why I sold mine after 2 months.......I just couldn't get it to like my LP type guitars....I loved the clean channel though....I should of bought the Renegade

"The OD channel on the Rebel 30 was the dealbreaker for me and why I sold mine after 2 months.......I just couldn't get it to like my LP type guitars....I loved the clean channel though....I should of bought the Renegade"

And you're going back to the Tourmaster, right? ;) ;) ;) We'll CONSIDER letting you back into the Tourmaster club... Which I think consists of one member right now!

:D :D :D

:rock:

Len Rabinowitz":3m6e7nwy said:
"The OD channel on the Rebel 30 was the dealbreaker for me and why I sold mine after 2 months.......I just couldn't get it to like my LP type guitars....I loved the clean channel though....I should of bought the Renegade"

And you're going back to the Tourmaster, right? ;) ;) ;) We'll CONSIDER letting you back into the Tourmaster club... Which I think consists of one member right now!

Hi Len.....I'd like to have a Tourmaster again...never should of traded it.......

Roddy":2n3hfwna said:
Len Rabinowitz":2n3hfwna said:

Hi Len.....I'd like to have a Tourmaster again...never should of traded it.......
Hi Roddy !That's exactly what i thought,at the time !Your tone with the Tourmaster was really perfect for your band's music !I must say i'm very happy with my Renegade,though ;) !

kingsryche":3gy42yoe said:
Well, the R30 is going back. I plugged into my R20 last night, dialed in the gain and it was instant gratification. I just can't get the R30 dialed in the same way. It's just too much of a rock/vintage tone and I need more modern/progressive. At least with the R20 I can get a pretty tight rhythm with a boost and eq pedal and the lead just sounds great. I guess the R30's voicing is just different. It's also very bassy and dark. I just couldn't gel with it. The clean channel is where it's at with the R30...it sounds stellar.

I still need a 2 channel amp so I'm looking to order one of the latest distortion pedals to use when I need to go from clean to dirty with one stomp (the riot or severe are prime candidates right now) so I can keep my R20 but use it as a 2 channel set up. It's still fun getting new gear and trying it out, even if it doesn't work out. My wife doesn't get it though...

I'm using mine as a 3 channel. I have an 80's Rat on the clean channel which allows me to have pristine clean, then slightly over-driven with the Rat, which will make you drool. :inlove:
Then I use channel 2 for higher gain requirements. This set up is absolutely perfect for covering all my tones.
Maybe you should wait for the Armageddon or the Vengeance to come out.......

I realize that. Sell off whatever you have and get another one. After a SEVERE hazing ritual, and endless taunts and insults, we'll let you back in to the VERY EXCLUSIVE Tourmaster club!

;) :D :LOL: :LOL: :thumbsup: :rock:

Steedee":3jecwlr4 said:
I'm using mine as a 3 channel. I have an 80's Rat on the clean channel which allows me to have pristine clean, then slightly over-driven with the Rat, which will make you drool. :inlove:
Then I use channel 2 for higher gain requirements. This set up is absolutely perfect for covering all my tones.
Maybe you should wait for the Armageddon or the Vengeance to come out.......

I will check out those 2 if they are released. I am hoping one of the 2 has a great clean channel along with a modern high gain channel with the Egnater flavor. But Egnater is becoming one of those manufacturers who introduce new products only never to have them see the light of day. I bought the Rebel 20 with the intention of pairing it with the now infamous E2. Armageddon and Vengeance were supposed to have already been rolled out but nothing stirring there either. In the meantime, I have a Suhr Riot ordered, I am going to see how that pairs with my R20. If it is as good as advertised I will use the Riot as my channel 2 and my clean R20 as channel 1.

Back