Quad Cortex Neural DSP

Jon BCN

So the videos are out and the usual suspects (Rabea, Pete Thorn, Tom Quayle...) make the thing sound good. That toxic synth preset is unbelievable.

Some of the presets don't sound that good, though.

There are already people calling it a "Kemper killer", but others are not on the same opinion.

Really looking forward to see how this thing evolves.

I've had one on order at Sweetwater since the beginning of December and they keep extending their ETA. It's now at the middle of February but looks to be worth the wait, IMO.

I ordered one a few weeks ago. Sweetwater was saying mid feb but more than likely early spring last I talked to the on Friday

As far as plugins they were supposed to support them but now I'm not sure

Just out of curiosity, will the Neural DSP plugin amp models be available on the QC?

So far, if you buy or bought the plugins, you could use them in the QC.

I hope eventually with updates some of those plugins will reach the QC for free.

The more I hear the more I think I'd be ok with an Axe iii if I went the modeling route again. There's been sooooo much hype.
The axe 3 sounds great. My friend has one and runs it through a VHT power amp and it sounds and feels great.

The axe 3 sounds great. My friend has one and runs it through a VHT power amp and it sounds and feels great.
Yes! I imagine that thumps thanks in particular to the VHT. :thumbsup:

Not totally turned off to the QC but not hearing it blowing away the latest Fractal stuff. Wondering when it's actually gonna be released. Looking to hear first hand accounts of folks who paid for it instead of people getting it sent to them to review.

I’m over being enthused about this. I’m in the Tier 1 preorder and have more concerns now than I did before.

it’ll be great but it’s already rolling out with a lot “in the future”. Fewer amp models and more captures instead.

I am very interested in seeing who in the US will be handling support tickets.

there’s so much hype about this on various groups that I think after a week or two “in hand” that the confirmation bias’d masses will realize it’s a new unit with a lot of catch up to do.

Worth noting, I really liked the 5150 and BE models at NAMM. Neural is great with plug in’s and they have got the modeling game down pat. Also, the guys I know at Neural are cool as fuck and I want this to be successful. I mean it’s going to sell out the first few batches. Like I said, I am in on the first round of preorders. I love the plug in’s I have and am interested to see how long it’ll take for them to deliver on the downloadable versions of the plug in’s you own to be added. I want to run the Granophyre, Meshuggah and Natas through a power amp and cab.

The folks on the FB groups are almost as bad as some of the Fractal fanboys except none of them have actually had hands on with the QC!

This’ll be interesting for sure...

Just out of curiosity, will the Neural DSP plugin amp models be available on the QC?
I ordered one a few weeks ago. Sweetwater was saying mid feb but more than likely early spring last I talked to the on Friday

As far as plugins they were supposed to support them but now I'm not sure
So far, if you buy or bought the plugins, you could use them in the QC.

I hope eventually with updates some of those plugins will reach the QC for free.
They keep saying “plug in conversions will be available post launch” but have yet to confirm any kind of timeline.
They’ll definitely NOT be free at any point soon. I am willing to bet there’ll be paid version to add to the QC if you don’t own the plug in for a bit of a reduced price. That makes sense. This way they’re not alienating the folks that bought the plug ins at full pop.

The more I hear the more I think I'd be ok with an Axe iii if I went the modeling route again. There's been sooooo much hype.
And the more I hear the more I think for $450 bucks the Pod Go is all I need as far as modeling goes. I sold an FM3, kept the Pod Go. It's good enough.

There's been sooooo much hype.
That about sums up every new piece of gear.
I stopped looking at anything after my kemper; my ears can't tell the difference between real and fake for the past few generations of this shit so as far I'm concerned the nails in the coffin for this crap.
There will always be new gear and there will always by hype and there will always be a lighter pocket. Fuck that, I'm good boys.

If anything I think it'll probably be a competitive incentive for Fractal to produce a larger and more powerful floor unit. If I had to wager I bet that's already in process.

Seems like the QC is more along the lines of the Kemper in terms of the modelling paradigm. I've got the Axe-FX III and FM3, and through a traditional guitar cab they're every bit as good as my tube amps, and I'm the guy whose main rig was only ever going to be a tube head. I think component-level modelling is probably the future in terms of the authenticity of tone and feel. All of the major players have units that can be made to sound great though. In a lot of cases, the price points, UI, and depth of tweaking are bigger differentiators than the tones.

If anything I think it'll probably be a competitive incentive for Fractal to produce a larger and more powerful floor unit. If I had to wager I bet that's already in process.

Seems like the QC is more along the lines of the Kemper in terms of the modelling paradigm. I've got the Axe-FX III and FM3, and through a traditional guitar cab they're every bit as good as my tube amps, and I'm the guy whose main rig was only ever going to be a tube head. I think component-level modelling is probably the future in terms of the authenticity of tone and feel. All of the major players have units that can be made to sound great though. In a lot of cases, the price points, UI, and depth of tweaking are bigger differentiators than the tones.
I don’t know if neural does component based modeling.

I’m over being enthused about this. I’m in the Tier 1 preorder and have more concerns now than I did before.

it’ll be great but it’s already rolling out with a lot “in the future”. Fewer amp models and more captures instead.

I am very interested in seeing who in the US will be handling support tickets.

there’s so much hype about this on various groups that I think after a week or two “in hand” that the confirmation bias’d masses will realize it’s a new unit with a lot of catch up to do.

Worth noting, I really liked the 5150 and BE models at NAMM. Neural is great with plug in’s and they have got the modeling game down pat. Also, the guys I know at Neural are cool as fuck and I want this to be successful. I mean it’s going to sell out the first few batches. Like I said, I am in on the first round of preorders. I love the plug in’s I have and am interested to see how long it’ll take for them to deliver on the downloadable versions of the plug in’s you own to be added. I want to run the Granophyre, Meshuggah and Natas through a power amp and cab.

The folks on the FB groups are almost as bad as some of the Fractal fanboys except none of them have actually had hands on with the QC!

This’ll be interesting for sure...
Yep, haha. As for support I'd imagine it'll be through Sweetwater as they're the only authorized dealer in the US at the moment.

Can’t these companies just make a simple one space preamp where I can load a few amp sims and have basic gain, P/B/M/T controls I can run into a loop? I don’t want some floor unit with a bunch of shit

To me, the real value/strength of this type of stuff is in the tone matching or captures. I need to see more of that side to really make an informed decision. Pete Thorn showed quite a bit of this and I thought it was impressive. Very very close and as close as a Kemper anyway. So be careful not to judge it based on the profiles people have captured because it might just be the sound they were after and sound like shit to you. Really all I want, is a 500$ box built by someone that will capture and hold like 10 amp sounds. That's it.. My sounds in a box I can play at 11 pm while the toddler and baby (and wife) sleep.

Back