Question about online mod guys

Mrevol

I have a random question that I was pondering with a friend. If a mod company does a mod for you and that mod goes bad, who's responsible for it? Even go further and what if the mod ruined your amp when the mod goes. Is company "x" responsible for amp or repairs?

I'm not talking about user error but legitimate mishap from the mod?

One last senario -- what if company "x" revises their mod because they know of a possibility that their past way of doing mod could be faulty and damage the amp. Do they do a "re-call"??

Some modders are stand up guys. Some are not. Some are professional, and bust out the work quick and have great communication. Some don't. Some are pleasant to work with, some are dicks. Some realize it's your baby and your money,to some it's just another amp.

But all modders should stand behind their work. Read the fine print. Discuss that subject with the modder before sending the amp.

You'd pretty much have to ask the individual doing the work those questions. Just like with any product or service different company's/people have different policies.

Ok let me ask this. If a company does a mod and then later emails you that they need to fix that mod because it was not done right and could be dangerous, who would you say should cover the repair cost and shipping?

Mrevol":2x0jm9rz said:
Ok let me ask this. If a company does a mod and then later emails you that they need to fix that mod because it was not done right and could be dangerous, who would you say should cover the repair cost and shipping?

If you're looking for a vote, I'm not sure what it'll accomplish. Since you used the word "dangerous" I think you already know what most people are going to say anyway.

I hope you didn't have this situation happen to you, in any case! (Or that a mod somehow damaged your amp.)

Your initial question alone is the main reason I don't offer modifications to other brands of amps. I can't be responsible for an amp's problems if I didn't design and build the amp. Whether my mod would have failed, or something else failed (from the original design), is going to be a matter of he said / she said at least in the eyes of the average person. Try convincing someone that the mod you did to an old Peavey VTM wasn't responsible for its "releasing the magical blue smoke" when a problem happened with its wacky switching output jack setup for impedance, especially when the failure burned out at least one transformer plus half the power supply circuitry in the process, ruining a circuit board (estimated cost of "repair": minimum $500 since it's basically a rebuild). This is something that happened to me once, and I'm not doing it again. Now imagine a similar problem with an amp that's even more likely to fail, something built inexpensively, something that as a result ends up being encouraged as a "modification platform". Several people end up with problems in their amps, and the last person to work on them was you. Good luck not being blamed for the failures.

I've even had people light the torches and boil the oil, when their tubes fail six months after I biased their amp. (Done as favors for friends-of-friends, amps other than Peters amps.) I couldn't even get them to calm down enough to understand that tubes sometimes fail when they're relatively new. To them, I "ruined their amp". Even after swapping tubes and demonstrating their error, they still wanted to blame me somehow. One said he suspected me of causing a problem so that I'd convince him to buy one of my amps instead!

And sometimes it's the fault of the guy who worked on the amp. Or pedal. I fixed a Tubescreamer a week ago which the modder did shoddy soldering in; the problem was obvious. The guy who owned it didn't know, though. For all he knew, it was just "broken".

Hey James, totally agree and a lot of time it is user error. BTW your amps rock!!!!

I'm more asking that if a mod guy later tells you that he needs to fix his mod because it can be dangerous. Should that person cover the charges/repairs or be asking for you to pay?

I think that the modder should at least pay for shipping back to you. They really should pay for both ways but at least one way. My 2cents.

IMO, if a modder did my amp, then told me there was a potential problem with his work and needed to fix an issue with the amp, I would expect him to pay shipping both ways. But, I would probably be so impressed with his honesty and good business practice that I would deffinatly work it out with him.

Back