question about vh4 pedal

brandonwebley

hey guys, i have the vh4 pedal and i love it but recently i have been trying to run it into the effects loops to use it purely as a pre amp because the clean channel on my blackstar metal 5w amp sucks. In the loop it sounds great but its INSANELY loud, like ear piercingly loud at nearly the lowest levels, im wondering is there any way to make it slightly less intense as im only playing inside my house right now and this thing could be heard from 2 miles away if i cranked it lol

can anybody recommend a great amp at around the 500 USD mark that would take this pedal well and also be manageable volume?

i seen one guy in one video once mention you shouldn't use the deep or presence controls while using it direct into the power amp but i havent been able to verify if thats true?

thank you for your time

So you are using the power-amp out of the pedal, right, and not the guitar amp out? There are two outs on the pedal. You can in theory try either one to see if that helps your loud problem.

Marshall Origin 20W -> https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ORI20H--marshall-origin-ori20h-20-watt-tube-head

That's a Marshall for pedal taking and even has the Marshall crunch when you crank the Master. So you easily use it as a Plex-ish amp without pedals.

I use the VH4 into my effects loop, but I added a JHS Little Black Amp pedal (about $35 US) between the pedal and the effects return. This will solve your issue. It bleeds off some volume enough the the master voluse on the VH4 is less “touchy”.

hey guys thanks a bunch for the replies, my local shop has ordered a marshall orgin 20 for me now i just have to wait - the Little black amp pedal is looking promising too, i appreciate your replies thank you

hey guys thanks a bunch for the replies, my local shop has ordered a marshall orgin 20 for me now i just have to wait - the Little black amp pedal is looking promising too, i appreciate your replies thank you

It's an awesome pedal-taking all-tube Marshall amp for the price. The reviews pretty much say it all for this amp.

I just took the Origin for a test drive with my Diezel pedal. You'll be well happy. I have the 50W and used the low mode. You will be able to go even quieter than me with the 20W. With gain up slightly on the amp and the Master slightly up, you will be able to control volume and gain from the pedal. If you need more bottom end then the answer to that is more Marshall volume and more gain in the Marshall if needed but volume should do it. For the price of that amp and that pedal, you are well able to gig with a huge sound if you wanted. Just hit the high mode on your amp and up that volume.

Back