Question for the high wattage amp guys here about playing at home

Except you are reading his point backwards. He’s stating is 50 watt heads probably don’t have the same punch as his 100 watt heads at comparable volumes…
He said that decibels and low-end punch are unrelated. He did not say wattage.

You don't have any videos or any references for your topic because it seems exclusive to yourself.

No, I don't need to, because literally everyone on earth who actually knows the subject matter knows exactly what I'm talking about.

But please, regale us with more basic bitch YouTube videos completely unrelated to anything.

Perhaps someday, I'll have enough time to watch a bunch of YouTube videos, and gain the knowledge of the ages from them, and write my own ebook!

He said that decibels and low-end punch are unrelated. He did not say wattage.
wattage and punch are related. Decibels aren't. Play a 150 watt amp at the same decibel as your 20 watt amp and tell me about punch. The fact is you haven't played a real amp at volume or we wouldn't even be arguing about this. It isn't even debatable. Anyone that has played a high wattage amp through a 4x12 knows this shit. It is like arguing that the sun burns your skin..

No, I don't need to, because literally everyone on earth who actually knows the subject matter knows exactly what I'm talking about.

But please, regale us with more basic bitch YouTube videos completely unrelated to anything.

Perhaps someday, I'll have enough time to watch a bunch of YouTube videos, and gain the knowledge of the ages from them, and write my own ebook!
There isn't even one YouTube video supporting your position because it's a weak one that got relegated to myth 10 years ago.

Palm mutes through your 20 watt amp don't hit you in the chest. You don't know what being hit in the chest means. Go to a death metal concert, tone find. Then you will know punch

youtube isn't the end all source of information. I think that is where you went wrong. You have to actually experience shit. Not sort through youtube vidoes that support the conclusion you want to be true.

Yea, I’d say YouTube is probably the absolute worst to show your point quite honestly. “ hey here is a video of some no name nobody playing a 20 watt amp and getting nowhere near the tones I said it can, but I’m right! See!?”

Yea, I’d say YouTube is probably the absolute worst to show your point quite honestly. “ hey here is a video of some no name nobody playing a 20 watt amp and getting nowhere near the tones I said it can, but I’m right! See!?”

If I cared enough I could dig up a bunch of old recordings when I get home to illustrate my point, but we all know he's just going to deflect, ignore, and move the goalposts because he's utterly incapable of admitting there is anything on this planet that isn't already a part of his mega-youtube hobbyist knowledge.

Yeah. truthfully, his book is supposed to save bedroom guitarists a lot of time through his experience. I like the idea. I just think he missed out on really experiencing the shit. You tube cost me a ton of money before I finally went through all the gimmicky shit and got to where I am. For recording, I won't argue about anything. But being in a room, there is no comparison between a lunchbox and 4 powertubes moving air...

Yeah. truthfully, his book is supposed to save bedroom guitarists a lot of time through his experience. I like the idea. I just think he missed out on really experiencing the shit. You tube cost me a ton of money before I finally went through all the gimmicky shit and got to where I am. For recording, I won't argue about anything. But being in a room, there is no comparison between a lunchbox and 4 powertubes moving air...

Agreed. Rig talk, or really any online guitar forum isn’t really the market for this type of thing. Much less, this guy keeps talking about things that were refuted “10 years ago”…. Well you know what else is over 10 years old now too? The idea you can get good guitar tone at home in your bedroom… we know bro… we know… also the sky is blue.

wattage and punch are related. Decibels aren't. Play a 150 watt amp at the same decibel as your 20 watt amp and tell me about punch. The fact is you haven't played a real amp at volume or we wouldn't even be arguing about this. It isn't even debatable. Anyone that has played a high wattage amp through a 4x12 knows this shit. It is like arguing that the sun burns your skin..
There is -6db between them and what happens is there are plenty of videos out there showing you home users using low wattage versions of the big brother amps and getting tones that some big brother owners claim you can't get. What it comes down to is volume, not tone and this little bit of different low-end which gets chopped in the mix.

Just go listen to any Marshall JCM800 vs Marshall SC20h comparison videos or 50W vs 100W EVH5150III. The idea there is significant difference a home user needs to worry over is really a nothing burger. 🍔

Last edited:
Just run a champ into a loadbox for that modern death metal tone bro

The low end will totally sound right

Just add EQ

It's all just frequencies right?

This is exactly why it's worth arguing about.

If we can save one more person from having to go through the YouTube Guitar money hole, it's worth it

There is -6db between them and what happens is there are plenty of videos out there showing you home uses using low wattage versions of the big brother amps and getting tones that some big brother owners claim you can't get. What it comes down to is volume, not tone and this little bit of different low-end which gets chopped in the mix.

Just go listen to any Marshall JCM800 vs Marshall SC20h comparison videos or 50W vs 100W EVH5150III. The idea there is significant difference a home user needs to worry over is really a nothing burger. 🍔
you don't know what punch is. Punch isn't on youtube videos, lmao

There is -6db between them and what happens is there are plenty of videos out there showing you home uses using low wattage versions of the big brother amps and getting tones that some big brother owners claim you can't get. What it comes down to is volume, not tone and this little bit of different low-end which gets chopped in the mix.

Do I need to give you another reference of guitar tones not getting chopped in the low end, or do you have short term memory?

punch isn't tone, ha. You know nothing. sign me up for that 57 dollar book

Back