Question for you TC G system users

RJF

I've become interested in the G system lately and have been reading up on it including the Liard Williams white paper document.

The problem is there seems to be a lot of disagreement on the forums as far as how much "coloration" the G system adds when ran through the system but while staying dry with no effects actually on, vs going strait into the amp. Also there seems to be differing opinions on if the 1B input version makes much difference or not.

My question is simple to you G system owners. If I ran in either the 2cm or 4cm, with all effects off, and a Maxon 808 in loop #1 as a clean boost, would I be able to tell a difference compared to just running guitar --> Maxon 808 --> front end of amp.?

I don't really care about coloration with effects turned on, my main concern is when I want to go 100% dry with a clean boost (808 in G's loop) for a metal rhythm tone being retained.

I can't answer your question but if you want one fairly cheap my other guitar player is selling one. I think cheap enough you could just try it and resell and not lose anything really. I can find out if you want me to ask him.

It does color a clean signal slightly because it's converting analog to digital. It's not true bypass.

I've never really noticed any colouring of my sound.
Im as much a picky bastard as the next guy, and I run mine 4cm through my SLO, Empress I/O buffers at the G's send and return from the amp.
I'm as happy with the sound of the G in bypass as I am going straight into the amp.

I have not experienced any change in my dry sound. Technically, passing through a/d converters will make the end result not 100% identical, but it is not a difference you can hear. Any time I have helped users with G-System issues, it has always just been about getting i/o levels set correctly between the G-System and the effects loop of the amp. When dialed in properly, there's a reason so many pros still rely upon the G-System... it sounds great and is a breeze to work with.

Note the first generation G-System did impact tone in a more pronounced way, but the circuit was replaced in the IB Buffer mod, the Red limited edition, and then all subsequent silver units that were produced after the red units. I don't know at what serial number the circuit and buffer change happened, though, but if you have one that was sold in the past three years or so, or the red or brown units, you certainly have the better circuit.

http://musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars ... system.php

Scott

I have two G's, one in my band rig and the other in my basement rig, i absolutely love them. I was using them in 4cm at one point but several years ago i discovered WDW setups and never went back. So my signal is not colored by any digital converters anymore.

But talking effects quality, the G is hard to beat, top quality effects and it controls my whole rig via an rjm rg16.

Anyway, when setup properly, it does very good in not fucking too much with your tone. But for 100% pure untouched METAL tone, WDW is the way to go. A wall of sound.

Sorry 'bout the the off topic, the Bacardi 75.5% was flowing tonight......... :LOL: :LOL:

I had one for a while and noticed a slight coloration, but certainly not enough to bitch about. It does so much and is such a great unit for so little money (I bought mine for under $500 used). I'd still have it if I wasn't using and Axe Fx.

There's one on my local CL that is priced fairly decent. Add says he's had it for years and it's silver so I am going to assume it's the first version with the less than desirable input. I think I am going to pass on this unit and look for a later IB version as it sounds like the way to go.

I've always been interested in the G system and think it's time to give it a try. I'm also a TC Electronic fan boy and my current go to is either a G Force or G major 2 with a GCX switching system for controls. Obviously the G system eliminates the need for a switching system and I'm hoping it has the better sound quality of the G Force but with the simpler navigation of the G Major.

Hey_bert_whtcha_doin_bert":2cs8wepa said:
I can't answer your question but if you want one fairly cheap my other guitar player is selling one. I think cheap enough you could just try it and resell and not lose anything really. I can find out if you want me to ask him.
Let me know if it's the later IB input or not and a price. :yes:

I used the G-System from 2009 till 2016. Absolutely loved it. I came from the G-Force and GCX loop switcher and Ground Control Pro setup. The G made things so much easier and sounded phenominal and looked really cool. LOL! I had them all. The original silver, then the red limited when it came out and then the black iB modified when it came out. I honestly didn't notice much sound difference between them with my amp which was a 5153 100 watt. As mentioned above if you get it dialed in right it sounds awesome. But a lot if it depends on the amp you are trying to pair it with. Some amps fx loops do not play well with the G due to impedance issues and require some extra outboard gear to fix and some people get major noise in their rigs and need hum eliminators. I was lucky that the G worked extremely well with the whole line of EVH amps. I just sold my black iB modified. I've gone the Fractal and Kemper route and couldn't be happier but it was hard to say goodbye to my G-Systems. It's such a great unit and served me well for many years. But it had been sitting collecting dust for a year so it was time to go. Highly recommend the unit though. As far as the serial number thing goes here is the lowdown:

Any (silver) G-System with a GFX-01 unit having a serial number equal to or lower than 6537538 has the input section from the original G-System.

Any (silver) G-System with a GFX-01 unit having a serial number equal to or higher than 6537539 has the redesigned 2nd generation input section from the G-System Red Limited Edition.

Any (silver) G-System with a GFX-01 unit having a serial number higher than 6539340 has the redesigned 3rd generation input section from the black G-System iB Modified.

Hope it helps.

Great, now I want one. Why do I open these threads?

Seriously though, my pedal board is a mess. With a volume, wah and whammy pedal it leaves me with little space. Plus the board itself is old and my method for fastening the vol and wah sucks.
One of these with 2 expression pedals and my talk box and bam.

Eraserhead101 called me yesterday and said he thought I should consider the Fractal FX8 instead. Very interesting unit and probably does out do the G system on sound quality and transparency. Problem is the G system has the FX8 beat on modularity and the internal loops to add external pedals. I like that a guy can put the rack piece in the rack and just have 1 cable going to the floor unit. Just like having a Ground Control with 1 single midi cable.

RJF":30l4j2bj said:
Eraserhead101 called me yesterday and said he thought I should consider the Fractal FX8 instead. Very interesting unit and probably does out do the G system on sound quality and transparency. Problem is the G system has the FX8 beat on modularity and the internal loops to add external pedals. I like that a guy can put the rack piece in the rack and just have 1 cable going to the floor unit. Just like having a Ground Control with 1 single midi cable.
I had the FX8 as well. As far as pure sound goes, yes, the FX8 is a better piece of gear than the G-System. But I liked the bigger buttons on the G-System, I liked the button layout better as well. 2 rows of 5 instead of the 2 rows of 4 on the FX8.

I have a black ib modified g.I run it so many different ways; straight into 2- 1966 Princeton reverbs,also in w/d/w setup so youre not worrying about any tone suck that way-but I never really noticed any.Ive also ran it into loop 5 on my 2290-worked great that way too.Even at times when I was between my Bradshaw rs,18,rs 10 boards,I used it as my main midiboard until I got my CAE RST 24.It is a little dated these days and would be nice if TC would do an update,but Im doubting that since berringer owns tc now,i believe(might be wrong on that one).TC are you listening?

Seeing that TC has discontinued the G-Force, it won't be much of a stretch to assume that the G-System won't be far behind.

TC has very obviously shifted their attention away from the rack gear and towards their pedal line. They just released a budget line of pedals.

NaturalBornBoy":29583bbz said:
Seeing that TC has discontinued the G-Force, it won't be much of a stretch to assume that the G-System won't be far behind.

TC has very obviously shifted their attention away from the rack gear and towards their pedal line. They just released a budget line of pedals.

Yeah, I've always been interested in trying the G system and the Gmajor, but every time I started to pull the trigger on a used one, I talk myself out of it thinking they will come out with a replacement for it soon. So I just keep waiting...

Hello there , I just bought a used G System that appears to be the 2nd gen according the serial numbers quoted by Victim 5150 . If this is the case have I made a big mistake and should have looked for the later series with IB Mod ...is there much difference ...I paid 370euro from a a dealer in good used condition in Spain. I actually thought this was IB modded also but if those serial numbers are correct clearly it´s 2nd gen. Only just trying to use it and also cannot find the Laird white paper anywhere as links on TC Forum are now dead . Guess I may have issues with downloading via that Vyzor as well but anyway. Your wisedom and experience would be appreciated .

Cheers
Tony M .

Back