Question regarding use of EQ pedals w/ Rebel/tube amps

kingsryche

A buddy of mine that I jam with really loved my Rebel 20 so he recently got one. We jammed over the weekend but he had a Boss GE7 in the effects loop because he wanted a more modern and aggressive tone (so do I). I noticed a pretty dramatic difference between his amp and mine. Mine sounded like I had a blanket over it while his sounded thicker and more in your face.

For comparison purposes we used the bedroom metal setting from the Rebel owner's guide for both amps. He was running thru a Lopoline cab (closed back 1x12 with a 25 watt Celestion Greenback - that he borrowed from me) and I was running thru a second Lopoline cab (also closed back 1x12 with a new Celestion G12K-100). We even switched cabs and with the EQ pedal he still sounded fuller while I sounded under a blanket. We also used the same guitar to trade off (my Ernie Ball Music Man JP6 - standard tuning). Oh, and no effects.

If we switched to mine right after listening to his, mine sounded downright weak in terms of distortion. With cleans, the difference wasn't as noticable but was still there. One thing about his, it didn't sound quite as natural (I thought it sounded a little too trebly for leads but for rhythm it was thick and chunky). He had the pedal dialed in with a moderate SMILEY face. We figured we just couldn't find the sweet spot between the amp's EQ and the separate EQ.

Also, I normally run my BB Preamp in front of my Rebel to increase the gain but it still didn't compare to the EQ pedal. Is there some merit to using an EQ pedal if you know how to dial it in? If the E2 ever comes out, I plan on getting one and figure my Rebel with the EG5 will blow his Rebel away ;) but it was interesting comparing the two. So what's going on here? Why the big difference between the two?

One thing about his, it didn't sound quite as natural
+1! I didn't try the GE7 with the Rebel yet,mostly because i didn't like it in my M&B's loop..To my ears,even when it works,giving you the EQ balance you're looking for,it still sounds unnatural.Almost like a SS amp..But i will try it in the Rebel's loop and report later .. :)

I guess if you're into metal, the smiley face EQ will sound better to your ears. And going from that smiley face EQ with big bass and bright treble, to a flat EQ... yeah, it's going to sound different.

I wouldn't use the term muffled. More like natural... I dunno. This is gonna sound harsh, but I really think smiley-face EQ's are kinda blah. :bleh:

I can almost guarantee that in a full band mix, YOUR tone would sound better and cut better, with the BB in front. Scoopy-EQs may sound fuller by themselves, but they just disappear in a mix.

The cymbals cover the high end, the kick and bass covers the low end. The guitar has that HUGE midrange gap to fill. So use it!

viking22":2ejyfq2j said:
..it still sounds unnatural.Almost like a SS amp..

Yes! That's the description I was looking for. I forgot I had bought a GE7 several years back...thought I had sold it with some other pedals so I am going to hook it up and play around with it. We'll see how it goes.

RockStarNick":14w74qrm said:
I guess if you're into metal, the smiley face EQ will sound better to your ears. And going from that smiley face EQ with big bass and bright treble, to a flat EQ... yeah, it's going to sound different.

I wouldn't use the term muffled. More like natural... I dunno. This is gonna sound harsh, but I really think smiley-face EQ's are kinda blah. :bleh:

I can almost guarantee that in a full band mix, YOUR tone would sound better and cut better, with the BB in front. Scoopy-EQs may sound fuller by themselves, but they just disappear in a mix.

The cymbals cover the high end, the kick and bass covers the low end. The guitar has that HUGE midrange gap to fill. So use it!

Good points. I guess you have to be able to EQ according to the occasion. Whether you are playing at home, jamming with a buddy, jamming with a band, etc. I just want a tighter, heavier tone than the Rebel is capable of. I play a lot of heavier stuff, Dream Theater, Alter Bridge and so on. Rebel gets me in the ballpark...but I'll be all over an E2. I imagine an EG5 and/or SL2X will cover all my heavier tones and then some!

You sound like you'd really like a Randall RM20. ( I love mine. one of the best purchases I've ever made)

Pop in the EG5. You can only use channel A, but still, channel A has PLENTY of gain, and then you have the RM20's built in gain and volume boost.

That's a great little setup there.

RockStarNick":3i8b26yo said:
You sound like you'd really like a Randall RM20. ( I love mine. one of the best purchases I've ever made)

Pop in the EG5. You can only use channel A, but still, channel A has PLENTY of gain, and then you have the RM20's built in gain and volume boost.

That's a great little setup there.

I'm gonna pickup one of the RM22's sometime once they come out. Get a single channel EG5, and a single channel BMAN.

With the boost...and 2 different modules...that'll f-in rock ;)

Eric

I looked at the RM20 but wanted something 2 channel so I became fixated on the E2. I saw the NAMM video for the RM22 which looks pretty cool. Depends on which actually becomes available for purchase first. I think it's closing on 2 years since the E2 was first announced so I've almost given up on that one. However, I would prefer the E2 so I would have the variety of using both channels per module. I love the Rebel but the GAS regarding Egnater modules is killing me. :bash:

Back