RANDALL WARHEAD TONES….because fuck midrange

VESmedic

Last edited:
I think it’s just tightly focused on a certain mid frequency, not a wide band.
Yeah, it is. I do something similar with all my amps. I actually boost the mids on the amp, but then scoop selectively with a parametric EQ in the loop. You can make amps sound mid scooped, yet full of mids at the same time.

Any ideas on a modern amp that could get in the ballpark of this??

As far as how focused it is, the UL Comes to mind. I had one for years, it can definitely do that ultra scooped focused cold tone if you want it to. You just can’t be afraid to get aggressive with the EQ on that thing, but it’s in there.

I don't hear any tube screamer honk, and boosting with full range doesn't work the same into solid state amps, so I would assume no also

Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve ever even tried boosting a solid state amp. All the cool solid state amps ( like the warhead) are hard to find now anyways. Good to know though.

Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve ever even tried boosting a solid state amp. All the cool solid state amps ( like the warhead) are hard to find now anyways. Good to know though.

It works basically the same frequency wise - but the gain behaves drastically differently.

Maxing the volume doesn't give you more of the amp, it gives you nasty ass TV static in the background as the SS preamp hits its gain limit.

So generally speaking, you can shape the EQ with a boost, like to get rid of flubby low end, but you can't boost like you would a recto or 5150 generally

Edit: this is why dirtnap darrell boosted with the MXR eqs and not like a tube screamer or whatever

I have a original warhead full stack and you have to set it weird and boost to get it to sound good. The best metal tone I have ever had is running my guitar and pedals into the front end of a friedman mini b.e. 30 watt solid state and then using the friedman fx send into the front end of a 400 watt randall v2 clean channel which is also solid state. All that into 3 4x12 cabs at once. It is without a doubt the most ridiculous metal tone I have ever had and moves air like a powerful tube amp. My quickrod, evh stealth and randall thrasher 120 dont stand a chance against this setup!

It works basically the same frequency wise - but the gain behaves drastically differently.

Maxing the volume doesn't give you more of the amp, it gives you nasty ass TV static in the background as the SS preamp hits its gain limit.

So generally speaking, you can shape the EQ with a boost, like to get rid of flubby low end, but you can't boost like you would a recto or 5150 generally

Edit: this is why dirtnap darrell boosted with the MXR eqs and not like a tube screamer or whatever

You mean I’ve got a dimebag tattoo on my right deltoid and I didn’t know this….BRB gonna go off myself.

You mean I’ve got a dimebag tattoo on my right deltoid and I didn’t know this….BRB gonna go off myself.

It depends on the specific SS preamp and how high the gain is set, but yeah this is my experience, and apparently dimebags as well.

Its not gonna be super popular around these parts, but I actually really like SS amp tones for certain types of metal - Windir got some of the tastiest lead tones imaginable with a Randall, a perfect black metal rhythm tone that sounds NOTHING like dimebag.

the VH140C thing is obv popular with the 90s death metal folks too, that preamp seems to react to boost pedals better than the randall stuff.

Back