Rattus Tonius Maximus, Warren's new SD PU

Nothing new. Just on the main site now.
This is the same as the custom order pickup that you could get only from the Custom shop.

I have one in my Fender CS and it sounds great!

The pickup is amazing. But so is a JB with alnico 2 . Tones in this vid don't do it justice. Duncan pups are kick ass either way. Plenty of bangers in the lineup.

I bought a new Dimartini USA SnakeSkin Charvel, something wasn't setting right with me. Called Duncan and they sent me the Model 78 humbucker.
HUGE improvement in that guitar,

The RTM is not even close to a JB with an A2. The coil capacitance is almost double shifting the resonant peak down to 4.4khz vs the JBs 5.5khz. It’s a much higher tension wind pattern

Not saying they are identical ..but they share characteristics to my ear. Softer top but still cutting, awesome crunch and an ass side under control. The JB2 is more tame and not as angry but still fantastic. I thought that at some point Warren was trying alnico 2 magnets in his JB which gave birth to this. I might be wrong on that but to me it doesn't even matter. I would also say that when we start throwing specs around, they don't hold as much value as what the ear hears imo. Charts give a general idea, they aren't the determining factor. If you treat tone like an equation though, I suppose you are right.

Ps- I know we've had this convo about these two pups before. I guess I hear it differently! 🤷

I had about 7 or 8 WDM guitars over the years. Nothing about that pickup ever impressed me - and I'm a HUGE WDM fan, and wanted to LOVE it.

(Wonder why he needed sun glasses for the video??)

This has been out for a decade
Yes indeed but it was a custom shop order . It’s finally a standard production pickup now but with a not so standard price but I guess they wanted to do some type of rollout. One of my favorite pickups , sounds great with my SLO 30

I like them a lot and put them in most of my guitars. Find it to be hot as hell but as they said, smoother than the JB which has that often discussed harshness. They sound great in my Jacksons through a Mesa Mark VII. Was using BK Nailbombs all the time but they along with my amp were a little on the bassy side. The RTM took care of that.

Had a CS one...
I used it in a maple star guitar...
I think it lacked treble...full of low mids...note was huge but kinda slow...great for soloing...

I went back to a CS 10k A5...

I bought a new Dimartini USA SnakeSkin Charvel, something wasn't setting right with me. Called Duncan and they sent me the Model 78 humbucker.
HUGE improvement in that guitar,
LUV my 78 model for anything you need a hot PAF for.........Zeppelin, AC/DC to EVH. the harmonics fly out of that pickup, is tight/crunchy enough, just the right amount of squish and clank/spank and you'd swear it was more than 9K........I've cycled quite a few PAF type pickups since I got my 78 model and nothing has dethroned it..... although I wanted the challengers to do so....it didn't happen.

LUV my 78 model for anything you need a hot PAF for.........Zeppelin, AC/DC to EVH. the harmonics fly out of that pickup, is tight/crunchy enough, just the right amount of squish and clank/spank and you'd swear it was more than 9K........I've cycled quite a few PAF type pickups since I got my 78 model and nothing has dethroned it..... although I wanted the challengers to do so....it didn't happen.

I love my 78’ in my start for all these reasons as well

Back