Reactive Loadboxes in 2023

nightlight

Hey, just wondering whether I should look into a better reactive loadbox in 2023.

Currently using a Fryette PS-2, and while it is hands down the best attenuator-and-transparent power amp combo on the market, I have been wondering whether the reactive loadbox part of this amazing device is so transparent, it makes my guitars and amps sound a bit too hi-fi and unnatural.

I noticed that not a lot of people use it for this purpose really, so that’s another sign.

What are you guys using as a loadbox? I am considering getting another Suhr one (used to have two of the non-IR ones) based on price, but am also looking into devices like the Red Seven Amp Central and the UAD OxBox.

I wasn’t too keen on the TwoNotes ones, because I’ve heard the reactive load isn’t too great, but maybe that’s hearsay. I also ruled out the Boss TAE as I figured it would have the same problem as the Fryette I have. Just speculation though.

Anything else I should consider? Suhr the safest bet?

Or should I just stick to the Fryette?

Last edited:
That Red Seven is one I haven’t seen or heard of before. It mentions it being “hifi” but otherwise doesn’t offer much about what inherent effect the load has on the amp signal - and there is always SOME effect.

The thing about the Suhr is they designed it to have a particular effect based on how a Marshall 1960 cab with Greenbacks reacts. This is both good and bad. Good in that if you do something like run a Marshall super lead or jcm 800 into the Suhr and then use good IR’s, especially of cabs/speakers that aren’t going to sound weird with that reactive load, it sounds and feels really good and convincing.

I would wager running a Marshall into the Suhr and using greenback cab IR’s is going to sound better than if the reactive load was designed to be as transparent as possible. However I have found certain amps to not get along with the Suhr and certain IR’s to not sound quite like what I would expect, and it usually comes down to how the low end and low mids turn out, but sometimes also the region where we hear “attack”.

For some reason the Suhr could not handle the Deliverance 60 very well. Even though I didn’t dial in a bass heavy tone, for some reason the low end of the amp did weird stuff through it. Through the monitors there would be this weird, uncompressed bass sound coming through almost like a real low sine wave and it would distort the Suhr really easily. The sharp attack of the amp also seemed to sound more mushy. I found something similar with a 5150 III Stealth but not nearly as bad. It seems to work OK with my JP2C though.

There are a couple other options out there like the Axe-FX and Driftwood although they seem pretty rare to find out in the wild. Pretty sure @VESmedic had the Driftwood one and found it to be really good.

I built my own, based on Randall Aiken's designs.

The design's impedance curve is identical to a Marshall 1960A cabinet, loaded with 4x12's.

tRLzp7f.jpg

N7JSGIX.jpg

rnsEusM.jpg

ZpDRdMH.jpg

pIAIMEZ.jpg

MXMORBG.jpg

That Red Seven is one I haven’t seen or heard of before. It mentions it being “hifi” but otherwise doesn’t offer much about what inherent effect the load has on the amp signal - and there is always SOME effect.

The thing about the Suhr is they designed it to have a particular effect based on how a Marshall 1960 cab with Greenbacks reacts. This is both good and bad. Good in that if you do something like run a Marshall super lead or jcm 800 into the Suhr and then use good IR’s, especially of cabs/speakers that aren’t going to sound weird with that reactive load, it sounds and feels really good and convincing.

I would wager running a Marshall into the Suhr and using greenback cab IR’s is going to sound better than if the reactive load was designed to be as transparent as possible. However I have found certain amps to not get along with the Suhr and certain IR’s to not sound quite like what I would expect, and it usually comes down to how the low end and low mids turn out, but sometimes also the region where we hear “attack”.

For some reason the Suhr could not handle the Deliverance 60 very well. Even though I didn’t dial in a bass heavy tone, for some reason the low end of the amp did weird stuff through it. Through the monitors there would be this weird, uncompressed bass sound coming through almost like a real low sine wave and it would distort the Suhr really easily. The sharp attack of the amp also seemed to sound more mushy. I found something similar with a 5150 III Stealth but not nearly as bad. It seems to work OK with my JP2C though.

There are a couple other options out there like the Axe-FX and Driftwood although they seem pretty rare to find out in the wild. Pretty sure @VESmedic had the Driftwood one and found it to be really good.

The driftwood is the best by far in My Personal opinion. It was night and day to me compared to two notes or the Suhr. However, i would take the axe fx 3 personally as well over a real amp and a loadbox any day personally as of right now. I feel the axe’s ability to match impedance curves and feel and response modeling is better at this point than an actual real amp and loadbox, real talk. The red seven is supposed to be great, and I’m sure as this issue gets more presss, load boxes in the future will blow away what is out today as of now. But, at the moment, they do not blow the axe out of the water in the least.

Currently using a Fryette PS-2, and while it is hands down the best attenuator-and-transparent power amp combo on the market, I have been wondering whether the reactive loadbox part of this amazing device is so transparent, it makes my guitars and amps sound a bit too hi-fi and unnatural.
Sounds like it isn't the best based on your review? I've been using the Waza TAE since it came out and I love it. I use it with a plethora of different amps and haven't been disappointed. Mr Thorn is using it now, and he's a Suhr endorser I believe:

The driftwood is the best by far in My Personal opinion. It was night and day to me compared to two notes or the Suhr. However, i would take the axe fx 3 personally as well over a real amp and a loadbox any day personally as of right now. I feel the axe’s ability to match impedance curves and feel and response modeling is better at this point than an actual real amp and loadbox, real talk. The red seven is supposed to be great, and I’m sure as this issue gets more presss, load boxes in the future will blow away what is out today as of now. But, at the moment, they do not blow the axe out of the water in the least.

Oh and I'm sorry I meant the Fractal X-load, not the Axe-FX obviously.

I have a RedSeven that I will be posting for sale pretty soon. It’s pretty great to be honest, I just only have the space in my rack for a single unit so the St. Rock gets the nod for me. Pretty much equal IMO

The st rock is what I would buy right now too as well. The functionality of it is great, and I believe it is the same load box as the driftwood. Someone told me that driftwood made/designed the st rock, someone will have to verify that though.

I built my own, based on Randall Aiken's designs.

The design's impedance curve is identical to a Marshall 1960A cabinet, loaded with 4x12's.

tRLzp7f.jpg

N7JSGIX.jpg

rnsEusM.jpg

ZpDRdMH.jpg

pIAIMEZ.jpg

MXMORBG.jpg

How much money do you have into it, and how does it compare to other "known" loads/attentuators?

How much money do you have into it
I built this when the Internet was still black & white, and only on for 3 hours a day.. so I'd be hard pressed to come up with a number.

The case is a disused DAT tape drive from a server room from a big oil company (name withheld for legal reasons).

I'd say the pricier components would have been the Erse® Super Q Inductor, and the Solen™ 100µF capacitor.

7xCvNbB.jpg

That capacitor looks like he's ready to fight.

:boxer:

Like @PLX i made my own also, based on Randall aiken’s design. I used Room Eq Wizard to measure the impedence curve of my cab, LT Spice to change the circuit values to match my cab, then used cheap Chinese power resistors and the most expensive low dcr inductors and bipolar low esr caps I could find (which were made by Erse audio). Enclosure is an aluminum cake pan, since project enclosures that size are real expensive.

Including shipping costs to the U.K. it cost £106 for the caps and inductors, then the enclosure and resistors were probably another £20 on top of that.

I have seen impedence plots of most of the popular ones these days, if I were to buy one I would go with the Suhr, or the fractal load.

Attachments

• E6B886AB-9761-456A-A518-72C696FFEF8B.jpeg
    E6B886AB-9761-456A-A518-72C696FFEF8B.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 86
  • 86E0F333-174C-443B-87FB-DF5EF2DC7FB5.jpeg
    86E0F333-174C-443B-87FB-DF5EF2DC7FB5.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 76
  • 4F3F6476-4B7F-4A0C-B4B1-783062F73810.jpeg
    4F3F6476-4B7F-4A0C-B4B1-783062F73810.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 81
Sounds like it isn't the best based on your review? I've been using the Waza TAE since it came out and I love it. I use it with a plethora of different amps and haven't been disappointed. Mr Thorn is using it now, and he's a Suhr endorser I believe:

I think Thorne was using the Fryette PS-2 for a long time, but not as a loadbox. It is a very good device to load down your amp and then replicate its sound at a lower volume, but when you are trying to put something through an IR, I think you want a certain kind of impedance curve, which I don’t think the PS-2 does well, even though it loads down an amp well. That is, it’s a great loadbox, but not such a great reactive load, if that makes sense.

Good to hear your thoughts on the Boss TAE, thanks

I think Thorne was using the Fryette PS-2 for a long time, but not as a loadbox. It is a very good device to load down your amp and then replicate its sound at a lower volume, but when you are trying to put something through an IR, I think you want a certain kind of impedance curve, which I don’t think the PS-2 does well, even though it loads down an amp well. That is, it’s a great loadbox, but not such a great reactive load, if that makes sense.

Good to hear your thoughts on the Boss TAE, thanks
The TAE adds the benefit of MIDI controllable EQ/boost/reverb/delay along with everything else—if we are going to invest in and lug around these boxes they might as well take as much off our plate as possible right?

The TAE adds the benefit of MIDI controllable EQ/boost/reverb/delay along with everything else—if we are going to invest in and lug around these boxes they might as well take as much off our plate as possible right?
I love the functionality of the TAE and the numerous features in it. The only issue is I remember hearing some horror stories about it with some amps (wizards for example)

I love the functionality of the TAE and the numerous features in it. The only issue is I remember hearing some horror stories about it with some amps (wizards for example)
Been using it daily for 4-5yrs running Friedmans, Fuchs, Marshalls and old Boogies through it. What are the horror stories?

Back