Reactive loads, IR

I compared the Suhr rlir to the fryette ps2, in both cases I was using a Soldano hr25 and ran the line outs to a hafler ta1600 SS power amp. The Suhr was more articulate, clear. The Fryette by comparison was darker and had more low end thump. I really think it depends on the amp and what the player is going for as to what is best. If metal is the goal for example, I would pick the fryette, for rock the Suhr.

Im interested in both of these but Im curious how you are running a load on the amp.

Amp - Speaker out or just line out? If line out only then you need a load on the speaker out, what are you using? And why did you run to a power amp vs just using the amp?

Im interested in both of these but Im curious how you are running a load on the amp.

Amp - Speaker out or just line out? If line out only then you need a load on the speaker out, what are you using? And why did you run to a power amp vs just using the amp?
To make it as even as possible I went Soldano amp speaker output to load of fryette or Suhr rlir. Then took the line out and went to the SS hafler power amp, then connected that to the speaker cab.

So basically I am comparing both the power station and Suhr rlir in a reamp situation. I was a bit surprised to hear the differences that I heard.

To make it as even as possible I went Soldano amp speaker output to load of fryette or Suhr rlir. Then took the line out and went to the SS hafler power amp, then connected that to the speaker cab.

So basically I am comparing both the power station and Suhr rlir in a reamp situation. I was a bit surprised to hear the differences that I heard.
I didn’t realize the Suhr reamped like the Freyette. If plugging into Suhr from amp and then back out through speaker out, isn’t the Suhr acting as just a passthrough?

A comparison between the Freyette Power Load IR and Suhr RL-IR loaded with the same IR would be da bomb.

Last edited:
I compared the Suhr rlir to the fryette ps2, in both cases I was using a Soldano hr25 and ran the line outs to a hafler ta1600 SS power amp. The Suhr was more articulate, clear. The Fryette by comparison was darker and had more low end thump. I really think it depends on the amp and what the player is going for as to what is best. If metal is the goal for example, I would pick the fryette, for rock the Suhr.
Michael Nielsen compared the Suhr RL and PS2 through a separate IR on youtube, and had the same feeling that the PS2 was better for metal and Suhr more for rock. He also showed that the Freyette seemed to add compression and had a less range, so if you like rock maybe the better choice is the Suhr with a compression pedal and you get the best of both?

I didn’t realize the Suhr reamped like the Freyette. If plugging into Suhr from amp and then back out through speaker out, isn’t the Suhr acting as just a passthrough?

A comparison between the Freyette Power Load IR and Suhr RL-IR loaded with the same IR would be da bomb.
The Suhr doesn't reamp anything, it is just a load box. Yes to your question, the load is only engaged if there is no speaker cab connected.

Reactive load IR is still here and is making deeper impact into pro setups. Some use IR’s to FOH with speakers on stage. Some use completely IR’s. Others use iso cabs with in ears. Fewer are using mic’d cabs on stage.

The world of high stage volume is dying and lower volume is a reality, along with reducing shipping costs. How that’s achieved is varied as much as the amp style being used.

alrighty...
got my Suhr RLIR last week. got a few minutes with it. digging what it will do so far.

now the IR rabbit hole i suppose 😄

CelestionPlus has been recommended.. so i'm checking those offerings out. any other thoughts?

A stupid question... i (think) have IR's stored from when i had my Kemper... are those able to be used?

alrighty...
got my Suhr RLIR last week. got a few minutes with it. digging what it will do so far.

now the IR rabbit hole i suppose 😄

CelestionPlus has been recommended.. so i'm checking those offerings out. any other thoughts?

A stupid question... i (think) have IR's stored from when i had my Kemper... are those able to be used?
Making your own is the most fun option, with Ownhammer being next best. The Celestion ones are often kinda thin sounding.

Making your own is the most fun option,
interesting....
USB out Daw ->USB In Focusrite, Left Out-> to EFX Send of Amp -> In to Focusrite

is this the chain? watched a short video...dude made it look easy, not uncommon for YT videos.

Back