Rebel 20 vs Rebel 30 - tone differences and similarities

kingsryche

Looking for a little input from those of you who have spent time with both the Rebel 20 and Rebel 30 (head). I have had my Rebel 20 for about 22 months and I love it - my only complaint was I wish it had 2 channels. Then, a short while after buying my 20, Egnater announces the two channel Rebel 30 and I have a little buyer's remorse because had I known about the 30 I would have held off. But, it wasn't really that big of a deal because my plan going back to April '08 was to get the E2 and run thru the Rebel 20. That and the 20 sounded great. But seeing that the E2 is never going to happen I have given up on going modular so I have been really looking into the 30. I haven't been able to play one in person and so I was hoping a couple of you could give me an idea of what the tonal differences are between the two heads. I keep things minimal so I run my 20 with a BB preamp in front and a Boss GE-7 and Damage Control Glass Nexus in the loop going into the TM212. Just wondering how the 30's cleans and overdrive compare to the 20's. Are they voiced the same or does one have more clean chime over the other and is one's overdrive more aggressive than the other...that sort of thing. Thanks and have a great rest of the weekend.

I haven't played through the 20, but if your looking for the same amp with 2 channels you'd have to go with the 30.
I can tell you this, the clean channel on the 30 is pristine til about 12 oclock, this is loud. Then eventually starts to break up....
The clean sound is incredible, comparable to other top of the line clean sounding amps, and takes pedals well.
The gain channel is voiced differently, its a little more nasal sounding... and more mid rangey than the clean channel.
It's a sweet sounding gain, very unique with a huge sweep from overdrive to fuzz....
I couldn't find a shoot out on you-tube, but there's plenty of clips for both.

For the past 2 months I have been occasionally jaming with an owner of a Reb 20 and I have the 30 combo. We run his head through a 1x12 Celestion 70/80. I have to aggree with Steedee.....The cleans are pristine on both. We have noticed that the 20 takes high ouput pickups better. The 30 loves low out P90s and singles, I have a hard time getting the sound I am looking for with hot 'buckers.

The 30 channel 2 sounds best if you can open her up and let her roar.. I run my tube mix at 60%-40%...84-6L6 respective, tight bottom, bright off, gain somewhere between 11 & 1, bass @1, mids @12, highs @9-10, volume as loud as I can take it, watts at 12 . I dont get a crunch distortion, it's more of a growl. And I get that single coil chime riding on top of it....a really cool complex tone/sound.

Where I think the 30 has it hands down over the 20 is with the DI. It sounds really good. I have a PA setup in my home studio for jamming. Run it to the board and you are good to go! And the silent record option.....More then once I have layed down ideas at 2:00am and the wife didn't beat on the studio door pissed as hell. Should have called it Marriage Saver!

Duff

kingsryche":2qlx74zy said:
Then, a short while after buying my 20, Egnater announces the two channel Rebel 30 and I have a little buyer's remorse because had I known about the 30 I would have held off. But, it wasn't really that big of a deal because my plan going back to April '08 was to get the E2 and run thru the Rebel 20.

Yea, same here. Bought the twenty, word was the 30 was combo only then they did a head. Did a quick turn around on the 20 and finally got a Rebel 30 head. I have (had?) plans on running it with an E2 also. Don't give up, I think it will come out some day ( :scared: ) Until then I am sticking with the MOD50.

Steedee":2qlx74zy said:
... but if your looking for the same amp with 2 channels you'd have to go with the 30.
I can tell you this, the clean channel on the 30 is pristine ...

The clean sound is incredible, comparable to other top of the line clean sounding amps, and takes pedals well.
The gain channel is voiced differently, its a little more nasal sounding... and more mid rangey than the clean channel.
It's a sweet sounding gain, very unique with a huge sweep from overdrive to fuzz....

I agree for the most part. I thought the 20 maybe had a little more monster gain if I recall, but the 30 has plenty and you said you are just gaining up until you get a snarl out of it, so I think the 30 is clearly capable of that.

duffman":2qlx74zy said:
Where I think the 30 has it hands down over the 20 is with the DI. It sounds really good. I have a PA setup in my home studio for jamming. Run it to the board and you are good to go! And the silent record option...

Duff

While I have not tried the DI yet I will be soon. Going to the studio for the next 3MS record in September. Looking to give my Egnater gear another work out. Good point about the DI ... very handy indeed.

Back