BlackJack555

Hi everyone,

I've got question about my new Rebel 30. When I am playing through
Record Out, the clean channel goes dirty with volume set anywhere above
8 o'clock. None of other control pots does influence this. It happens in both
Silent Recording mode and Playing. Does anyone have similar issue? OD channel
seems to be just fine.

Second issue, amp is louder when set fully on EL84 than fully on 6v6. What's
more, fully on EL84 is not really quiter than set halfway (it should be). I set bias
and it didn't change. Are the 6v6 tubes to be changed?

Yea, man. Mines the same way. The clean channel gets pushed pretty quickly. And yes I noticed a volume difference between the 2 tubes as well. I have the mk1 and MkII rebel 30 and they both exhibit the same conditions you're talking about. Nothing to worry about, amps sound fantastic

Thanks for reply!

I absolutely agree with you, amp sounds amazing!
But if you say it is normal way the Record Out works, it means that the amp can't be used on gigs through Record Out (without mic) while providing proper monitoring (volume up) without sacrificing clean sound?

When you say monitoring you're talking about the playback monitors on stage? Cause I would think if you set clean channel just before breaking (record out) and then boost the volume on the mixer, all should be fine?

I have similar results with the EL84 & 6v6 volume levels. I think the difference between pure EL84 and pure 6v6 is down to differences in how the two circuits perform - the valves are simply different and the associated circuitry of each must surely be configured differently as well, of necessity following from the different valves.

In the mix position the two key differences may be in mixed-valve tonality and in power-stage headroom - the latter only apparent when the amp is operating at high output. This is analogous to the fact that if you you dial the power wattage down from 30W to 1W, it tends to make much less striking a change to the output volume than to the headroom.

Personally, I love the '84s, I'm 100% that way and with 30W headroom nearly all the time. A great sound, though I'd have liked the power and valve controls to offer me more of a palette of alternative excellent sounds...

Ok, thanks, all in all volume difference is nothing to worry about :)

But still, I think that something's wrong with this Direct Out, I've heard someone's recordings through direct out, and he wrote he recorded clean sound with volume on 11. Man, mine clean channel is fully distorted when playing at such volume, regardless wattage... Anyone more had such issue?

Back