Recomend me a pup for a maghony guitar

halford

Hi Guys,

Ordering some new pups for my STAR project and doing some swaping about

Can anyone recomend me a pup for my Nightswan? (maghony)

I have triued the Full Shred and BKP Painkiller and both are not what i want. (too bass'y, muddy)

I like Duncan Distortian in Alder. So anything like that sould be legit

Anyone got any recomendations?

Nothing too boutique :thumbsup:

Halford

i think the blackouts in my DV8R sound great. they clean up by lowering the volume as well and have an organic feel.
i also like the dimarzio satriani set in my mahogany RG. just depends on what kind of sound you're going for i guess.

Wow you guys are fast...

I've heard similar things about the Painkiller... Here' my post from another thread with different results that you experienced.

My first BKP was a Cold Sweat that I had installed on a Schecter Omen (basswood) guitar that was stolen a couple of months back... I originally had a SD JB in the bridge and that pickup sounded like it had the lows and the highs cut off completely... nothing but mids... I was always fighting with it to get a decent tone out of it. Then I purchased a BKP CS (upon Nick and Tim's recommendation) and that sucker had tons of clean mids and low end... it opened up my sound a lot! Only problem was that it had very little in the highs... so my clean parts sounded very dark. High gain was awesome...

Well, I've always thought that my ideal pickup would have some of the characteristics of a pickup that is in the neck position. I love the thick, middy clean attack that you get from a SD Jazz in the neck position... or maybe that's what you get out of any pickup in the neck position. Well, I purchased a couple of Ibanez SZ320 guitars and was recommended to get a BKP Painkiller for it's mahogany body... well, I wasn't sure because I didn't want to have my sound be anywhere to what the BKP website said the PK sounded like ("Typically British in voice"). I vaguely remember not ever liking the Judas Priest's tone at all... very shrill. Anyhow, both Nick and Tim had the same recommendation on the CS for my stolen guitar and the PK for my newly acquired guitar(s). So I went ahead and had the PK installed after a long wait... (why do they take so long to get? The CS took 2 months to get and the PK took a little over a month) Anyhow, during my first practice my jaw just dropped at how clean everything sounded with the Painkiller. I must say that (for me) the PK may be the perfect bridge pickup because it gives me the aggressive bark of a pickup in the neck position sound but in the bridge position! It has the clearest highs and mids that I've ever heard on any of my guitars. I have an Axe-fx and when I was testing the BKP PK it just opened up amp sims that I've never liked (or gave a second look at) in the past. It's as if it allows the "amp's" true nature to come out. Crazy... my only gripe with the PK is that it really needs more low end to be the perfect pickup (for my setup). But I figure I can just crank the low end on the amp sim and/or pop in an EQ block and adjust to taste. All in all, I'm very happy with the Painkiller... I was just very weary that it would make me sound like Judas Priest... and it didn't.

Jack Napalm":ldg5o6we said:
I'll second the Duncan Custom. Its a sleeper pickup.

haha what does sleeper mean?

Cheers for the post, i think i might try the Duncan Custom as alot of people have said

Halford

mortega76":fymrqghf said:
Wow you guys are fast...

I've heard similar things about the Painkiller... Here' my post from another thread with different results that you experienced.

My first BKP was a Cold Sweat that I had installed on a Schecter Omen (basswood) guitar that was stolen a couple of months back... I originally had a SD JB in the bridge and that pickup sounded like it had the lows and the highs cut off completely... nothing but mids... I was always fighting with it to get a decent tone out of it. Then I purchased a BKP CS (upon Nick and Tim's recommendation) and that sucker had tons of clean mids and low end... it opened up my sound a lot! Only problem was that it had very little in the highs... so my clean parts sounded very dark. High gain was awesome...

Well, I've always thought that my ideal pickup would have some of the characteristics of a pickup that is in the neck position. I love the thick, middy clean attack that you get from a SD Jazz in the neck position... or maybe that's what you get out of any pickup in the neck position. Well, I purchased a couple of Ibanez SZ320 guitars and was recommended to get a BKP Painkiller for it's mahogany body... well, I wasn't sure because I didn't want to have my sound be anywhere to what the BKP website said the PK sounded like ("Typically British in voice"). I vaguely remember not ever liking the Judas Priest's tone at all... very shrill. Anyhow, both Nick and Tim had the same recommendation on the CS for my stolen guitar and the PK for my newly acquired guitar(s). So I went ahead and had the PK installed after a long wait... (why do they take so long to get? The CS took 2 months to get and the PK took a little over a month) Anyhow, during my first practice my jaw just dropped at how clean everything sounded with the Painkiller. I must say that (for me) the PK may be the perfect bridge pickup because it gives me the aggressive bark of a pickup in the neck position sound but in the bridge position! It has the clearest highs and mids that I've ever heard on any of my guitars. I have an Axe-fx and when I was testing the BKP PK it just opened up amp sims that I've never liked (or gave a second look at) in the past. It's as if it allows the "amp's" true nature to come out. Crazy... my only gripe with the PK is that it really needs more low end to be the perfect pickup (for my setup). But I figure I can just crank the low end on the amp sim and/or pop in an EQ block and adjust to taste. All in all, I'm very happy with the Painkiller... I was just very weary that it would make me sound like Judas Priest... and it didn't.

cheers for that!

Going to give the Painkiller another chance in my STAR (alder)

9ball":20vd5t2u said:
i think the blackouts in my DV8R sound great. they clean up by lowering the volume as well and have an organic feel.
i also like the dimarzio satriani set in my mahogany RG. just depends on what kind of sound you're going for i guess.

cool thanks for that. a set of blackouts might be a little more than i wanna spend.

looking for thrash/classic metal soundzZ

halford":af8psh87 said:
looking for thrash/classic metal soundzZ

then i'd say reconsider the blackouts.
they pretty much have the classic "seymour duncan" sound in them playing through an amp set for mid gain, but can get that active sound there when you bring the gain up on your amp if you want it.
i've never owned a guitar with a duncan custom though so i don't know how to compare them.

BKP Painkiller and both are not what i want. (too bass'y, muddy)

:confused:

on top of that painkiller is nothing muddy, it actually is very similar to Duncan Distortion. something must be wrong.

nbarts":d08vg2qp said:
BKP Painkiller and both are not what i want. (too bass'y, muddy)

:confused:

on top of that painkiller is nothing muddy, it actually is very similar to Duncan Distortion. something must be wrong.

i set all my pickups kind of low away from the strings. maybe something there?

Yeah ive got PK's in my Les Paul and they are my favorite pups ever! Very articulate to my ears, and sound good clean as well.

halford":15ibmomj said:
Jack Napalm":15ibmomj said:
I'll second the Duncan Custom. Its a sleeper pickup.

haha what does sleeper mean?

Cheers for the post, i think i might try the Duncan Custom as alot of people have said

Halford

He means it's a great piece of gear that doesn't get much recognition. :)

I tried a bunch of pickups in a mahogany guitar I had, could never get one I liked 100%. I finally tried the Bill Lawrence L500XL, and loved it. Totally eliminated any "muddy" sounds, and brought out lots of high end.

Back