Recomend me a pup for a maghony guitar

For a mahogany guitar, I like the Seymour Duncan JB. I have one in my schecter baritone (mahogany body / maple neck/ rosewood fingerborad / string through tail piece). It's a bright pick up but in mahagony, it's not as harsh as in something like alder.

9ball":2mon8lvl said:
halford":2mon8lvl said:
looking for thrash/classic metal soundzZ

then i'd say reconsider the blackouts.
they pretty much have the classic "seymour duncan" sound in them playing through an amp set for mid gain, but can get that active sound there when you bring the gain up on your amp if you want it.
i've never owned a guitar with a duncan custom though so i don't know how to compare them.

hey man,

you have got me thinking. will see if i can try a guitar out wqith Blackouts. always been interested.

Halford

nbarts":g8nkhuse said:
BKP Painkiller and both are not what i want. (too bass'y, muddy)

:confused:

on top of that painkiller is nothing muddy, it actually is very similar to Duncan Distortion. something must be wrong.

I hear what you are saying. how could i get a muddy sound out of a PK. I think it might be my guitar, Kramer Nightswan, i seriously just cannot gell with the tone!!!!

i have tried 2 pups and looking at trying a 3rd. maybe thats just the sound the guitar gives off?

looking forward to trying the PK in a alder guitar :rock:

Halford

I have a TMZ natural Charvel and installed a BK Holy Diver in it. Fanttastic pup! It is my first BK, but wont be my last. :rock:

I've got a Dimarzio Steve's Special in my S470. Very clear tone, great for solos. Also, every note is heard when strumming full chords even with a heavy distortion. Although it is classified as a hot p/up, it has a medium output. So if you play with a lot of gain, you'd have to turn it up higher than usual. I've read that it gets lost in a 2 guitar band mix due to it's scooped tone characteristic so YMMV. All in all it's a fantastic p/up IMO.

nbarts":hqk3tww4 said:

on top of that painkiller is nothing muddy, it actually is very similar to Duncan Distortion. something must be wrong.

well.. the duncan distortion is muddy as f*** :confused:
a lot like the gibson 500t
the painkiller is much clearer :rock:

ericsabbath":ekyivz0y said:
nbarts":ekyivz0y said:

I never heard a muddy SD Distortion. Lynch played them for years and I never heard a muddy tone from him.

I have one in a Gibson Gary Moore Les Paul (not the BFG) and it's actually bright in that mahogany body.

ericsabbath":2kc3dtvh said:
nbarts":2kc3dtvh said:

Well, Distortion is not as clear & crunchy as the Painkiller, but definitely isn't muddy either. I've tried both of these in a Les Paul & to me the Painkiller sounded like high quality Distortion with thicker high mids.

Oi halford, my painkiller is in my kramer which is alder (im pretty sure) try that out.

think kenny has blackouts in one of his gats, talk to him bout them

Back