Recommend me an aggressive, throbbing Uni-Vibe pedal

PurityS.L.G

I've been on a vibe kick lately and nothing is scratching my itch unfortunately. Here's what I've tried so far...

JHS Unicorn - VERY good but something is missing
Dunlop Uni Vibe - Owned the 90's chrome housing version, the Hendrix mini pedal and the latest M68 version. The chrome and current version are too polite. The mini Hendrix pedal has more character but still lacking some lush.
Fulltone Deja Vibe - Very nice and lush but sounds a bit fake.
Drybell Vibe Machine - Best I've tried so far but still not lush enough

Belle Epoch Deluxe has a Leslie setting roto-swirl on 3 and a wah sweep resonance filter on 4. The roto-swirl sounds really nice and is pretty much the uni-vibe sort of effect. An expression pedal controls the unit if you wish and for that setting controls the Leslie speed of the rotor. However, this is one of the most expensive pedals you can own so make sure you really want the features as it might be overkill for many. You may also not like the way it colors tone with the EP-3 pre-amp.

Any of the Sabbadius Vibes.

242241175_10226618987724858_6075046665723028852_n.jpg

I've been on a vibe kick lately and nothing is scratching my itch unfortunately. Here's what I've tried so far...

JHS Unicorn - VERY good but something is missing
Dunlop Uni Vibe - Owned the 90's chrome housing version, the Hendrix mini pedal and the latest M68 version. The chrome and current version are too polite. The mini Hendrix pedal has more character but still lacking some lush.
Fulltone Deja Vibe - Very nice and lush but sounds a bit fake.
Drybell Vibe Machine - Best I've tried so far but still not lush enough
Vibes can sound different depending where they are in the chain. Maybe try mixing that up if applicable.

Vibes can be an expensive rabbit hole. The ones that are true to the original design all seem to affect the base tone slightly differently. They also seem to vary a bit pedal to pedal.

I use a Vibe Machine on my board because its small but if I want the real thing (close as I can get that is) I use a Vibe Baby Classic.

I’ve tried a few different vibes over the years (including a few different Fulltones). My fav so far is the Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe. I bought one years ago before Bob Sweet died, and it stayed on my board until I quit playing and sold off all my gear about 12 years ago.

Now that I’m playing again, I have another Fulltone mini because I couldn’t pass up the price. It gets the job done, but I’m not super crazy about it. So I will be looking for another mojo vibe in the near future.

The King tone 1968 pedal has long been on my list but the price tag is pretty high. Sounds killer though.

I flicked the vibe switch on my Blackout Effectors Whetstone and like the results. It's really tweakable. Let's talk more about vibe position in the chain. Where is everyone running theirs and what are the results?

Some of them get seasick-ish sounding when their depth gets too crazy. My #19 original Sweet Sound Ultra Vibe rides that threshold of “is it too much”. I’m sure there are newer ones that go even wider.

I've had a bunch of vibe pedals (not as many as Carl though) and I thought that the Weaver FX Vibe had the most prominent effect. It certainly got more intense than what a real one would do.

Vibe hunting is dangerous.. I looked at your list and there are some quality pedals there. If they aren't doing it, something tells me you are into the 500$ and up price range. That's why for Vibe tones I just rock a Phase 90 pushed up and kick in a Boss Chorus. Not even close but scratches the itch some. I mean, I'm not Hendrix or SRV after all.

Here we go, right up my alley lol.

Tried - too many to mention. Dollars spent - alot. What I needed - space saving i.e. couldn't be so big that it couldn't fit on my board. Had to work with my setup and gain. And the throb, it has to land right for me. Ultimately I look for what hits me, I'm not trying to "recreate" something.

Uni-vibes are finnicky, period. Most have their own thing going. You might get something thinking this is it and it's too dark sounding for your rig. What might sound great at medium gain levels isn't necessarily going to sound that great at higher levels. And as pointed out above, signal chain is important. I needed something to cover high gain, low gain and clean and sound good doing it. Alot of times with higher gain, it just gets washed out not to mention noise among other things. Also had to have something that was not too dark or boomy.

What I ended up with -

Micro Vibe (Modded by JHS) - I cannot let this thing go. It's perfect. The mod gives it more of everything and where the throb lands is perfect. On my big board. The mod took a nice sounding affordable pedal (which I have a stock one as well) and made it sound great. No clue what JHS did as I bought this second hand.

King Tone 1968 - Straight up awesome. Easy, board friendly and sounds incredible. It's all there in a small pedal. It's fantastic. On my smaller board. If I ever rearrange my big board its going on there.

Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe TC - Underrated. Sounds greats, hits all the marks for me. Alot of control over all parameters and a really great throb. I cannot say enough good about this pedal and it looks funky. Currently my backup to the modded Micro but it see's alot of time on my big board as well as it's an easy switch footprint wise.

Runner ups - Jam and the Vibe Machine. I very nearly kept the Jam but then got the King Tone which I preferred. Bottom line, you cannot go wrong with either of these. Great footprints, both sound great. I will say, careful with the Vibe Machine. Don't adjust to where you cannot get back so mark your settings. For footprint, it's unbeatable.

A few notables in my quest recently (as this has been going on for years and I've been through alot of them) - Sir Henry. One of the big dogs of the vibe world but I didn't bond with it for what I want to do. Klinger 69, a really fantastic pedal if you're more a single coil type player plus Shaun is great to deal with, good footprint on this one. Shin-EI Vibe 2. Really nice.

I still want to try the Weaver one day, lots of love for that thing. And seems to be alot of smaller vibes hitting the market as well. The quest is tampered down for now but you never know.

Last edited:
A real Univibe clone will have:

• 4 x glass covered/hermetically-sealed photocells and an incandescent bulb on the circuit board. I go one step further...and NO ONE else does this, I took many real 1960's 'cells and blueprinted them, not only their dark/bright resistance, but also for their all-important rise and fall times as they react to the light turning on and off. This is deep E.E. stuff, cannot be done unless you have the know-how and the expensive scopes.
  • Run at 18+ volts.
  • Totally discrete electronics, i.e. NO OPAMPS in the audio path!

Back