Renegade 65 Head 18w/65w Switch?

RoidRage

Hi...

I was trying this Head out in Guitar Center... and I Really LIKED IT! Voiced really nicely, with pleanty of gain, Very Versatile Also!

It can get the Dark sound with Growl that I like, and really punchy with the 2x12 with 2 Elite 80's Well Done! :thumbsup:

Question about the 18w / 65w Switch though, I could hear no discernable difference when using it, and I have good ears. Does the 65w only kick in at high volumes, so it
was in 18w Mode the whole time, or was it malfunctioning?

Sound very good at Low Volume... This could be the practice amp of my dreams!

Thanks,

Roid Rage

jmgman69":2p0jb4yc said:
I don't think you'll notice much until you use up the 18 watts and then............. :rawk:

Yep, much more at volume. Some more headroom at low volume, but you won't notice much of a difference really. Crank it up though and the 65 watt just gives bigger more headroom type tone, where the 18 watt really pushes the power tubes for more of that greazy breakup. Will they let you crank it in the booth?? I'd give that a shot first.

RoidRage":3vtsji3q said:
Hi...

I was trying this Head out in Guitar Center... and I Really LIKED IT! Voiced really nicely, with pleanty of gain, Very Versatile Also!

It can get the Dark sound with Growl that I like, and really punchy with the 2x12 with 2 Elite 80's Well Done! :thumbsup:

Question about the 18w / 65w Switch though, I could hear no discernable difference when using it, and I have good ears. Does the 65w only kick in at high volumes, so it
was in 18w Mode the whole time, or was it malfunctioning?

Sound very good at Low Volume... This could be the practice amp of my dreams!

Thanks,

Roid Rage

On the Mod50 (which has a similar design w/ a lower / high power switch)...You really notice the headroom on the high power side w/ the master above noon. The higher power side doesn't break up w/ the power tubes nearly as much. On the low power side, you see the power tubes start to distort above noon. Adds a bit of grind which is cool for certain things. There is a volume difference...but it's not 1/2 as loud or anything on the low power mode.

You don't really notice it at low volumes. At higher volumes, it doesn't really make the amp any louder at 65 vs. 18 - but it changes the feel dramatically. 65W is punchier, tighter 18W is softer spongier.

bruce egnater":eow2ihmt said:
Go here http://egnateramps.com/TechTalk.html and read this. It explains the reality of the power cut switches/knobs on all amps, not just Egnater.

Bruce,

Yes... But I hear an enorumous difference in the 1w-30w Variable control on the Rebel 30 Combo... BIG..

Perhaps because the wattage goes much lower, and it's easier to tap out the 1w.

Roid RAGE

Back