Renegade keeps blowing power fuse all of the sudden???

veets987

I have had my Renegade for about 3 years with no issues.
Last night i blew a fuse. Tried another then it blew right away.
Bought some more and blew 3 more. At a lose at what could be causing
the issue. The only thing done different was it was working fine and
we plugged the direct/record out into the board in addition to the
regular cab. A few minutes after we did this We realized that the
phantom power was on so we turned it off. The fuse blew shortly after
that. Could this have caused the issue? Any ideas would be
appreciated.

It is the fuse that is located under the actual power cable plug. I check the fuses located by the bias controls and they seem to be fine.

8 ohms is the minimum. Sounds like a bad power tube. Stop replacing fuses only to blow them. Get the amp checked by a qualified tech.

you did have the amp off standby? bet its ower tube gone bad but could be wrong or problem when using line out.. Ask Ian Egnater

I tried a couple other things last night and still no luck. The amp WAS on standby, the fuse blows right when i turn the power switch.

I decided to pull all of the power tubes and turn it on and see what happens. RIght when i flick the power switch on the light goes on and then immediately blows the fuse.

I pulled out the chasis and checked the internal fuses and they all seem to be fine.

I already emailed Nate i will send Ian an email also.

Thank you all for your input...

Emailed back and forth with Nate, he said it sounds like the Power Transformer PCB is shot. Im just waiting on a reply to see if I can get this fixed under warranty. Im really hoping they get back to me soon and hoping i have better luck than some people i have been reading on this forum.

Hey, Just wanted to check what you finally determined to be your issue?

I am experiencing the same symptoms on my amp and have determined there is a short between line and neutral after the on/off switch. Seems to be an issue on the power supply board or transformer, but I am having trouble tracking down a schematic.

Please let me know your outcome.

Thanks,
Jason

I have a schematic I got from Nate and I'm still in the process of troubleshooting. So, far I have visually verified from the component side of the PCB's, replaced all power tubes with new tubes and have Ohm'ed the primary and the secondary (just the wires that go to Fuse 1-4 on the power PCB) sides of the power transformer (PT-65). But I'm still blowing the main 3.14A power fuse in the power connector and I don't want to start shotgunning parts since that can get expensive and time consuming. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I really would like to get this amp going since i got it used for a good price and knowing that it needed fixed. The guy I got it from said it did work at one time and then all of a sudden wouldn't power up then he said he pulled off the back panel and he seen a black soot spot on the foil shielding and he then closed it up. When I looked at it I did see the black soot on the foil shielding and my first thought was a blown cap but, after close inspection I didn't see any blown cap or burnt component on any of the boards. Not sure if someone before me might have replaced the bad component and just didn't clean off the foil shield, just my guess. All I know now is it won't power up and it keeps blowing the main fuse?

Disconnect all the power transformer secondaries and see if the fuse still blows. If it does, the power transformer is bad. Report back.

Sorry it took so long to report back. Turns out i had a bad Power Transformer. Luckily i was right at the end of the warranty period so it was repaired and is back up and running. Thank you Nate at Egnater for their quick response and customer service! If you happen to live in the St Louis Mo area i highly recommed LS Electronics for any kind of repair or luthier work. Great bunch of guys who knows their shit!

veets987":xajb9ogx said:
Sorry it took so long to report back. Turns out i had a bad Power Transformer. Luckily i was right at the end of the warranty period so it was repaired and is back up and running. Thank you Nate at Egnater for their quick response and customer service! If you happen to live in the St Louis Mo area i highly recommed LS Electronics for any kind of repair or luthier work. Great bunch of guys who knows their shit!

Another bad tranny?!?!? I feel really bad for anyone who doesn't play their amp a lot, because it seems like trannys are very suspect and if you are out of warranty, you could very likely be out luck. Glad to hear yours got fixed.

Back