Renegade Re-Tube Suggestions!

veets987

Hello everyone! So i was thinking of Retubing my Renegade. Im still kickin the original tubes that are close to 3 years old. I do have a fairly fresh set of stock 6L6s that i can pull from my Tweaker 40, and a brand new set of JJ EL34L tubes. Anyone use this combo? Also what are you recommendations for the preamp tubes?

I put Quad JJ KT77 for power and Tungsol for 1&3 Sovtek for the PI and JJs for the rest :) OD is much better more runchier and punchy

Dragonsarc":p570n1aa said:
I put Quad JJ KT77 for power and Tungsol for 1&3 Sovtek for the PI and JJs for the rest :) OD is much better more runchier and punchy

I have seen a few times now where guys are putting quads of the same tube type in instead of mixed pairs. When you do this, where do you put the tube mix knob?
Also, with the KT77s how did that effect your clean tones...partially assuming you ran more towards the 6L6 side for the cleans.

Having the same type of tubes on both sides, you might as well put the tube mix in the middle position, since you would be using all 4 tubes per channel to give you more head room. You'll notice when the mix knob is at noon, theres more oomph to the tone.

I have a set of JJ KT77's but haven't tried them in the Renegade yet. Right now I'm using JJ 6L6's and JJ E34L's and really like how they sound. The E34L has a little more head room than a regular EL34 and sounds more agressive.
On the preamp side:
V1: Tung Sol
V2: JJ 803s
V3-5: JJ 83s
V6: JJ 803s

Axisman5150":380ztkx2 said:
Having the same type of tubes on both sides, you might as well put the tube mix in the middle position, since you would be using all 4 tubes per channel to give you more head room. You'll notice when the mix knob is at noon, theres more oomph to the tone.

I have a set of JJ KT77's but haven't tried them in the Renegade yet. Right now I'm using JJ 6L6's and JJ E34L's and really like how they sound. The E34L has a little more head room than a regular EL34 and sounds more agressive.
On the preamp side:
V1: Tung Sol
V2: JJ 803s
V3-5: JJ 83s
V6: JJ 803s

That is very interesting and makes me wonder what is really going on with that mix control and how the tubes get utilized. With these bigger bottles its usually 50 watt with a pair or 100 watt with a quad. Here the output is listed as 65 watt, but clearly when set in the middle you are getting some of each pair or all 4 in some way.
I have some experience with the E34Ls in the Splawn QR I had and I did like how they had a bigger and deeper low end, but kept the EL34 mid range snarl to them. Worked really nice in that amp.

So I take it the ability to bias the pairs individually is what allows this amp to take pairs of different types or a quad of one type.

Why would you buy a Renegade, pay extra for more power tubes, and not get different tubes>????? You're literally wasting money and a feature the amp provides. Do not understand that.

I got a retube kit from Eurotubes.com. I believe I put KT-77's in one side and 6l6's in the other. Sounds great - better than the stock tubes.

fwiw

When I re-tubed I went with all JJ's, I got a really good rock tone, powerful bass, creamy mids and smooth highs with no harshness, perfect for Gilmour Wall tone, perfect sorrow with no Muff. What I couldn't get was a passable Fender twang tone for my teles. I then got some Tung-Sols 12AX7's and they were dreadfull, the bottom end just disappeared, had to turn the bass full up and still no thump, JJ's and Tung's don't play nice together. In v1 I now have a JJ ECC803, this is a very high gain factor valve that breaks up in the highs first giving me some raspy grit. v2 Electro Harmonix 12AX7, together they are perfect for my Fender tones with huge amounts of bottom end. v3 is a Electro Harmonix 12AX7 but thats paired up with a JJ ECC82, drops the gain down to put channel 2 into AC/DC mode but now as you turn the gain up you get a creamy sustain without the modern Egnater tone, spandex and the Jem. For v5 Tung-Sol 12AX7. The Phase v6 I'm torn between a JJ 5751 and a Electro Harmonix 12AX7, because the Renegade is so loud you can get away with the 30% drop with the 5751 and still crank out gig volume but the Electro is so easy to drive into break up that the Renegade will sing at a lower volume....I think the Electro is the perfect guitar amp valve. For the power tubes I went with JJ again, the E34L matches the 6L6 in volume perfectly. KT-77 have a tone that's a mix of EL34 and 6L6 but we have the MIX knob to dial that in....but putting quads in really makes no sense....I've been Dr Sheldon Cooper and this has been "Fun with Valves".

Keith Johns":1a6zfxue said:
I've been Dr Sheldon Cooper and this has been "Fun with Valves".
Now turn to the right and cough, please. :LOL: :LOL:

Yeah, I really like the JJ803 too. It has 10% less gain than a 12ax7 and has thick mids. I had a gold pin 803 in the PI slot that really sounded great but I broke the glass on the tube when installing the tube shield/retainer. UGH!! :doh:

Keith Johns":25bpsmvz said:
When I re-tubed I went with all JJ's, I got a really good rock tone, powerful bass, creamy mids and smooth highs with no harshness, perfect for Gilmour Wall tone, perfect sorrow with no Muff. What I couldn't get was a passable Fender twang tone for my teles. I then got some Tung-Sols 12AX7's and they were dreadfull, the bottom end just disappeared, had to turn the bass full up and still no thump, JJ's and Tung's don't play nice together. In v1 I now have a JJ ECC803, this is a very high gain factor valve that breaks up in the highs first giving me some raspy grit. v2 Electro Harmonix 12AX7, together they are perfect for my Fender tones with huge amounts of bottom end. v3 is a Electro Harmonix 12AX7 but thats paired up with a JJ ECC82, drops the gain down to put channel 2 into AC/DC mode but now as you turn the gain up you get a creamy sustain without the modern Egnater tone, spandex and the Jem. For v5 Tung-Sol 12AX7. The Phase v6 I'm torn between a JJ 5751 and a Electro Harmonix 12AX7, because the Renegade is so loud you can get away with the 30% drop with the 5751 and still crank out gig volume but the Electro is so easy to drive into break up that the Renegade will sing at a lower volume....I think the Electro is the perfect guitar amp valve. For the power tubes I went with JJ again, the E34L matches the 6L6 in volume perfectly. KT-77 have a tone that's a mix of EL34 and 6L6 but we have the MIX knob to dial that in....but putting quads in really makes no sense....I've been Dr Sheldon Cooper and this has been "Fun with Valves".
I have always heard the ECC803 is a great PI tube because of the long plate structure.

peckhart":50wqgbom said:
Dragonsarc":50wqgbom said:

I have seen a few times now where guys are putting quads of the same tube type in instead of mixed pairs. When you do this, where do you put the tube mix knob?
Also, with the KT77s how did that effect your clean tones...partially assuming you ran more towards the 6L6 side for the cleans.

the KT sounded nice has more low end and nice smooth top end, pronounced mids too darker sounding british OD tho not like the 6L6, the clean is nice and sparkly alot of head room and just like Axisman5150 said it has more omph when the knob is on 12 which is no point going left to right since its tubes are the same, have you tried the KTs yet?

No not yet. I've made so many changes with different tubes(pre & power), I started to forget what I liked best. LOL! I'll eventually put the KT77's in to compare it to the E34L's but the 6L6's are staying.

I swapped the EL34s forJJ E34Ls and am very happy with the result. Gives it a little more edge. Still waiting for some funds and will be trying out different 6L6s and then might venture into changing out preamp tubes. Thanks for all the suggestions!

I just got my Renegade today. Didn't take long at all to dial in some really great tones on Ch2.
I peeked in the back to see they ship with Ruby tubes. I have had good luck with Ruby in the past and actually have a quad of EL34s that I have been messing with in my Roadster. I don't know that I will be in any hurry to change the power tubes...they are expensive these days anyway. I have some different preamp tubes I may mess around with just for fun.

The last time I did some EL34 testing I tried out a quad of Ruby, JJ E34L, and SEDs in my Splawn Quick Rod. I ended up staying with the E34Ls as I liked the break up and extended low end. The others were not bad by any means, but different and I just liked the E34L enough to stay with them. I would buy those again and give them a shot in the Renegade.

I have never used KT77s. When I recently got my Roadster the seller offered the additional quad of JJ KT77s he had used in it off and on. I got em, but unfortunately there is an issue with at least one of them so I haven't really been able to test them out and see what they can do. Sounds like I would dig them though.

Congrats on your new toy!
I thought the stock Ruby's were fine too 'til I put the JJ6L6's and JJ E34L's. Ch1 with the 6L6's just has a nice bloom to the tone. I always liked the extra growl the E34L's have over a EL34 set. More BALLS as it were.

Enjoy your Renegade!

Back