Renegade Tube Question?

srinivassa

First off sorry. I did look through a lot of the old posts and didn't find what I was after. A lot of one and done threads and threads on similar topics like modular unit.

I remember people saying a retube does the Egnater a world of good, but I wonder what direction they are going. I don't know a lot about tubes except that the few I've used in other amps are pretty subtle.

Is there a general philosophy about the V1-V4 tubes. I know V1 and V2 are clean and V3 and V4 are dirty. Is there some criteria that would help me pick better tubes for clean vs. dirty? The logic of separating the tubes of this channel implies that some benefit can be had to both channels via a careful retube.

What about the two separate power sections? Is it better to balance them against each other? Like with 4 Svetlana bulbs or 4 Tung-Sol? Or is it similar to V1-V4, where you are meant to take each separately?

Also, if anybody has any advice about how to change the character of the amp overall? Does it sound better smoother, gainier, tighter?

Thanks, and sorry for the needy post. Any information would be appreciated.

Honestly, experimentation is the only thing that has worked for me. One man's brown sound is another man's ice pick and tubes are no exception.

Anolin":3ps4my8j said:
Honestly, experimentation is the only thing that has worked for me. One man's brown sound is another man's ice pick and tubes are no exception.

You are probably right. I need to take $100 and a long weekend. Then just buy a bunch of different pairs of 12AX7 tubes and really compare. Still, I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction with the Egnater. I have a little extra money, and I'd like to do a complete retube. I wasn't going to A/B anything except to compare the end result to the stock tubes. I suppose I'll learn eventually though.

Your power tubes need to be in pairs, the pre amp tubes don't. Don't bother buying balanced 12AX7 's, the only one that needs a balanced valve is V6, it controls the power tubes. Ecc83/12AX7 are more powerful than Ecc82/12AU7 or Ecc81/12AT7.
Some more info here.....
http://www.amplifiedparts.com/tech_corn ... made_tubes
In my renegade at the moment I'm using Ecc81/12AT7 in V1, this is giving me less dirt on the clean channel, with the gain full on I get a nice edgy tone that I can then push with a boost pedal. A Ecc81 in V4 giving me again less gain and Ecc83 in all the other places. Ecc82's for some reason sounded dreadful. I like JJ valves for their warmth, life span and cost. I've never had a valve let go while playing. I'm going to try some KT66 in place of the EL34.
IMG_2335.jpg

some people are in the "matched PI tube" side, others arent. i went ahead and got a matched sovtek LPS for the PI. a mullard cv4024 is a great tube for any phase inverter section.

RFT is a great tube in any position, i have one in my tourmaster in v2 i believe

i like jj 12ax7s, they're very defined IMO, and work well in a contour slot.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=94072

thats a topic you might be interested in bro.

good luck.

Back