Retubing a Tourmaster?

srinivassa

Has anyone taken a crack at retubing this monster? I'm especially interested in changing away from 6L6-type power tubes. Most Egnater amps let you just slap the tubes in and rebias. What not this one? The manual says it hurts 'reliabilty,' but reliability of what? The tubes? Or do you somehow damage your amp/transformer? :dunno:

I retubed mine several times. I think you can pretty much use any 12AX7 you like. I think with the power tubes you have to go with what they recommend. I remember reading something about how the power grid won't function if you don't.

i had el34's in one with no problems. but i didnt mess with the power grid at all. the amp sounded....brasher...and mushier to me.

do a search in this forum. use "yeti" and "tourmaster tubes" or something like that.

you'll find a shit ton of info, probably more than you'll ever need regarding preamp tubes in this amp.

NOS RFT or amperex small plate sound best in v1/v2. chinese 12ax7b silver dragons are also good in 1/2/3/4.
v5 i have a jj ecc83s short plate.it does something to the contour in the od1/od2 channels that no other tube does, at least to my ears...it adds more depth and makes the contour knob more useful....v6 is reverb i think, and i currently have an electroharmonix 12ax7..but i also really love the depth a mullard cv4024 gives you. in v7, i'll tell you, use at your own risk a 12bz7(actually a higher gain tube than a 12ax7 hi grade)...ive been doing it for a while and its a kick as little trick for built in boost...(effects loop..patch a cable across the out/in...adjust levels to suit...built in boost, footswitchable...with a 12bz7, you get a bit more useable gain, pending the tube....i like the tung sol long plates.) 12ax7's work fine in v7 for doing this too, so do 12at7's. i used the stock 12ax7 groove tube here for a long time..

take it for what it's worth, i arrived at these combinations after a ridiculous amount of countless hours testing tubes with the chassis on my bench..pulling tubes, comparing, recording, etc.
when i say countless, i mean like.....probably 300 hours.

while the stock groove tube 5881's are fine, they also get a bit mushy after higher volume playing for an extended period of time, esp if you're going to use the power grid settings in the lower wattage.

personally, i love the ruby 6l6 quartet from guitar center for 50 bux. for high gain, u just can't beat them, as they dont break up as much at high volumes and stay pretty stiff feeling too...they get a lil soft though.

i went back to running EL34s' in mine for rehearsal tonight....at band volumes, this AMP SMOKES with EL34's in it. im going to get another quad for backup..i think i have them biased a little high at 130, as they meter out my meter when playing....but sitting idle at 130..it just fucking KILLS!.

for some reason, my ears love el34s wayyy better than 6L6's. this amp sounds SICK with them in there....

Back