Return of the king ! ( Malmsteen)

Kapo_Polenton

Been a while since we've gone neoclassical. Malmsteen self released another " masterpiece". Personally I'd rather just listen to demon driver off eclipse than this but hey he can still rip endlessly.

Production is terrible as usual, drenched in verb, and sounds more like a demo tape. He should have sent this to Sotto or any of the first 4-5 singers to do a proper job on it but he's the maestro and the maestro does as he pleases peasants!

Yngwie Malmsteen - Soldier:

I gave up on Yngwie a decade ago at least. Always going to be one of the great shredders but without a great vocalist I'm just over it.

If I want Yngwie it's the 1st Rising Force album.
Yngwie with a singer? Joe Lynn Turner and Odyssey.
Everything else is just Groundhog Day, crazy Swede style.

Ever read the interview from when Yngwie first broke?
It's him and the legendary John McLaughlin, and it's hilarious.

JM: I was in the studio with Jimi Hendrix and .....
YM: (interrupting) You got to jam with Hendrix?!?!?!?!?!?
JM: Well, ya.
YM: Fuck you!
YM: Ooops, I'm so sorry I swore at you.
JM: It's OK. You can say whatever you want asshole.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I like music more than I like guitar. While I respect all of the technical guys, I prefer technical guitar being part of the music, not being the center point of the music. I just no longer like his music

Lol is there the same reverb setting on literally every instrument including the drums and vocals?
Yes, I believe he literally took the tagline " set it and forget it " and made that a hard rule in his studio. His singing makes me laugh, like a drunk old dude singing karaoke. That big wide vocal vibrato lol.. this guy is one of a kind.

lol... while still a techinically brilliant guitarist, I stopped caring after the Fire and Ice album...

Since he took over the production, there has been a huge drop in quality. You can tell he's mixing for his speakers + his damaged ears.

The reverb to me sounds like it's to make the recording sound "big" but the reverbs all just wash out the mix. Instead of adding gated verbs to the drums, it sounds like he's just added a master reverb to the bus of the drum VST haha! The kicks are washed out too. Cymbals sound like very poor samples. Even if this was played, it sounds to me like it's been recorded MIDI and quantized.

Such a shame as there is still potential in the writing. He just needs to go to someone elses studio and leave the science to them

Wow, that actually had some potential if it was recorded to be more crisp and had less guitar solo. Production is terrible. We all know he is a master on the guitar. I can say at least he is putting out new music.

Since he took over the production, there has been a huge drop in quality. You can tell he's mixing for his speakers + his damaged ears.

The reverb to me sounds like it's to make the recording sound "big" but the reverbs all just wash out the mix. Instead of adding gated verbs to the drums, it sounds like he's just added a master reverb to the bus of the drum VST haha! The kicks are washed out too. Cymbals sound like very poor samples. Even if this was played, it sounds to me like it's been recorded MIDI and quantized.

Such a shame as there is still potential in the writing. He just needs to go to someone elses studio and leave the science to them
Totally.. it is very VERY lazy and that is being generous. Everything is competing for the same space and then you have these keyboards and guitars doing crazy runs together. Such a mess.. I would think a glass of wine would relax him a little more, not drive him to the stratosphere.

That was off World On Fire, 5 years ago.
Was it? Maybe I am confused with the album he just released but does it even matter? Don't think the production style or arrangements have changed much. Also, if he is cheap enough to sing on it himself, he probably also was too cheap to hire a drummer to record the midi for him.

The track is obviously a think piece. A kinder, gentler “I am a Viking” mantra updated into the modern age of being a soldier. Surprised I had to wait until the 4 minute mark for the solo.

Back