Rev F: You know, it’s sad but true!

I guess I’m confused, what is single tapping?
HAHha its probably us drying out after the weekend lol

Using one cable from head to cab IE 1 speaker cable 8 ohm = single tap
using two cables into 4 ohms spots = double tap

I know its crazy but i find on older boogie Heads sound better double tapping them with boogie Cabs

But I Do agree with you for the Black album stuff the marshall cabs extra clarity helps.

man I gotta disagree, all of my favorite tones and producers 95 percent of the time use a single 57 for the heavy stuff. Sneap, Richardson, Lewis, suecof, the early Van Halen records etc: all a single 57. I will try the slave route though. I’ve got a 421 on the grill of my Marshall cab right now… started out using both mics, but the single 57 smoked it. The closest I get to two mics is a 57 with a 201, but the 201 is like -16db down, at highest. The 421 can be cool low like that too, it’s killer for adding bottom end to a 57 as well sometimes.
In my experience, a modern MD421 overlaps more with the SM57 than an old one (in a certain region of the high-end) and there are a few mic options that would give you more of something different. I had great results with a Beyer M88, Shure SM7B. Haven't tried my Neumann TLM102 yet, nor my Røde K2. I did have a cheap ribbon mic; MXL R144, but I found that one too dark and wooly on guitar cabs.

Back